Scholarships and Internships

The Stanford Daily offers four scholarships/awards and one internship to members of The Daily community. Information on how to apply and deadlines can be found below.

San Jose Mercury/Friends of The Daily internship

The San Jose Mercury News/Friends of The Stanford Daily internship program is a unique opportunity for a Stanford Daily staffer to report and write for a major, nationally recognized newspaper. The intern participates in a ten week summer internship program beginning in June and earns a stipend based on Guild internship salaries (approximately $800/week) funded by the Friends of The Stanford Daily.

This is a professional internship where the intern has the same duties as other Mercury News journalists. One of the strongest qualifying experiences an applicant can bring to the competition is a previous professional daily newspaper internship. If an applicant doesn’t have experience at a professional daily, s/he should include the best range of clips from a student newspaper or other journalistic experience.

Application Materials:

• A cover letter describing why the applicant would like to work for the Mercury News
  • A resume
  • 6-8 published clips.
  • Three references with phone and email address
  • Send application in one email; this can be an email with attachments of cover letter, resume and clips or the email itself can be the cover letter with resume and clips as attachments

Applications should be sent to Editor in Chief at eic@stanforddaily.com and Andrew Vogeley at avogeley@stanford.edu. They will be reviewed by Mercury News editors. Late applications will not be considered. Finalists will be asked to come to the Mercury News for in-person interviews with a selection committee.

Additional information:

• Usually, interns are assigned to the metro desk, to maximize the value of the experience. If you are interested in another desk, however, please explain why in your cover letter and you may be accommodated.
  • Multi-lingual skills are a plus due to the diverse nature of the San Jose community.
  • Because of limited public transportation in the area, the intern probably will need to provide his or her own transportation to and from work.
  • The June start date will be determined between the intern and the Mercury News.

Previous recipients of this internship: Hannah Knowles ’19, Jeremy Quach ’18, Ed Ngai ’15 and Molly Vorwerck ’14.

Deadline: Jan. 15, 2017 (email by 5pm)

Harry Press Award

This grant is awarded to make it easier for an outstanding Daily staff member to accept a summer newspaper internship, or to continue working at The Daily during his or her senior year. It is a $6,000 award with second award possible (at Friends and Knight Fellows discretion).

The award is a result of a gift from Lorry Lokey, ‘49, general manager and president of Business Wire. It honors Harry Press, ‘39, former Daily managing editor, longtime journalist and Stanford staff member, and former Stanford Daily Board member.

Applicants will be judged on the following criteria:

• Outstanding journalism skills as a writer and/or editor, as measured through writing, staff leadership positions and summer jobs or internships.
  • Intention to become a professional journalist.
  • Demonstrated financial need, as determined by the Financial Aid Office. Students who have not applied for financial aid are not eligible for this award.
  • Junior class standing.

Applicants must submit via email to the Editor in Chief at eic@stanforddaily.com and Andrew Vogeley at avogeley@stanford.edu:

• A current resume — in .doc format;
  • An essay of up to 500 words describing your reasons for wanting to become a professional journalist — .doc format;
  • Up to five examples of your work – Titles of the pieces along with a URL link that will remain live through March.

A committee of Knight Journalism Fellows will select the top applicants.

Previous award winners include Ruairi Arrieta-Kenna (2016, Politico); Lauren Wilson (2012), Jane LePham (2011); Elizabeth Titus (2010); Eric Messinger (2009); Andrea Fuller and Natalie Jabbar (2008); Gerry Shih (2007); Elizabeth Aguilar and Andrew Leifer (2006).

Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 23, 2017.

Julius Jacobs Award

A $1,000 award will be presented to a Stanford Daily staff member who demonstrates journalistic talent, as well as contributions and dedication to The Daily.

The award results from a bequest to the Friends of the Stanford Daily Foundation from the Julius Jacobs family. Julius Jacobs, Editor in Chief, Vol. 87, was managing editor of the Hanford Sentinel, and worked for the Merced Sun and Palo Alto Times. Jacobs moved into public relations with a position at the California Wine Institute and later worked as a freelance wine writer and public relations consultant.

The Jacobs Award intends to help a Daily staffer with expenses during a summer journalism internship, and is targeted at students new to the daily who show exceptional promise in the journalism field. Applicants may be from any editorial department.

To be considered, applicants must:

• Be involved with The Daily at the time of the application.
  • Submit 2-3 clips or examples (writing, editing, photos, graphics) of your Stanford Daily work.
  • Submit a one-page letter describing Daily involvement and your summer plans and aspirations in journalism in general.
  • Students from any year are eligible, but the award generally seeks to reward newer journalism students who will still be involved with The Daily in the future (Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors).
  • Note on the application the award to which you are applying and which other awards you are applying for.

Applications must be submitted by January 23, 2017 by 11:59 pm via email to the Editor in Chief at eic@stanforddaily.com and Andrew Vogeley at avogeley@stanford.edu.

Applications will be reviewed by members of the Jacobs family.

Ashley Westhem ’16 and Abigail Schott-Rosenfield ’18 are previous recipients of the award.

George Caulfield Award

A $2,000 award will be presented to a Stanford Daily staff member who has demonstrated significant skills as a writer and/or editor for The Daily and has contributed to the quality and success of The Daily.

The award results from a gift to Stanford from Lorry Lokey ’49, former Daily editor and founder/president of Business Wire in honor of George F. Caulfield ’48, former Daily editor and retired journalist and public relations executive.

Applicants will be judged on these criteria:

• Sophomore or junior class standing
  • At least one year on the Stanford Daily staff
  • Demonstrated high level of journalism ability and interest
  • Other factors that may be given consideration include plans for a position or internship in the field of journalism during the summer and desire to enter the field of journalism or communications upon graduation.

Applicants must submit via email an application containing:

• Name, email address, phone number, home address, school address, current academic year.
  • Description of previous work for the Daily, showing positions held and key news stories, features, editorials and columns published.
  • Description of plans for summer journalism work or career plans in the field of journalism or communications.
  • 3-5 clips of stories previously published in The Daily.

Materials should be submitted to the Editor in Chief at eic@stanforddaily.com and Andrew Vogeley at avogeley@stanford.edu via email.  Applications will be reviewed by the Friends of the Daily and Stanford Journalism Knight Fellows.

Erica Evans ’17 and Kylie Jue ’17 won the award last year.

Application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on Monday, January 23, 2017.

William Woo Award

This $1,000 award recognizes a Stanford University student who has demonstrated excellence in opinion writing for The Stanford Daily. Students of any class year are welcome to apply. An internship in journalism is not required to receive the award, nor is membership on The Daily staff.

The Stanford Daily Board established this grant to honor the memory of board member and Stanford journalism professor William F. Woo, who died in 2006. William Woo spent 10 years teaching journalism at Stanford after a 34-year career at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, including 10 years as editor. He was a popular teacher and mentored many Daily staff members.

Applicants should submit the following:

• Name, email address and phone number of applicant;
  • 3-5 opinion clips that satisfy the criteria specified below (links to published works).

Any current Stanford student or recent graduate may apply. All opinion clips must have been published in The Stanford Daily during either Volume 249, 250 or 251 (i.e., the clip must have run between February 2016 and March 2017, summer included). All clips must have run while the applicant was enrolled as a student at the University. The selection committee defines “opinion” work as editorials, columns and op-ed pieces.

Materials should be submitted via email to Editor in Chief at eic@stanforddaily.com and Andrew Vogeley at avogeley@stanford.edu. Applications will be reviewed by a committee consisting of members of the Woo Family and Friends of The Daily.

While the intent is to award the grant annually, the selection committee reserves the right to withhold it in any given year.

The application deadline is 5 p.m., Friday, March 17, 2017.

Rhea Karuturi ’19 and Madeleine Chang ’18 won the award last year.