Undergraduate student found deceased in campus residence

An undergraduate coterm student was discovered dead in their campus residence on Friday, just days before Commencement, Vice Provost for Student Affairs Susie Brubaker-Cole announced in an email to the campus community.

Police confirmed the death Friday afternoon, noting that there is “no ongoing safety threat to the campus community.” The cause and date of the student’s death remain unknown.

Stanford Police spokesperson Bill Larson said he was unable to provide further details regarding the death. The Daily has reached out to the Santa Clara Medical Examiner-Coroner’s Office for comment.

Friday’s death is the fourth student death announced by Stanford since February. Master’s student and world-champion cyclist Kelly Catlin died in March after struggling with depression. Her death came just one month after another graduate student was found dead in a campus laboratory.

Later in March, Mischa Nee ’20 died in a hiking accident after becoming separated from a group of other Stanford undergraduates in Mallorca, Spain.

Contact Holden Foreman at hs4man21 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Support is available for students through Stanford’s Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at (650) 498-2336. The Graduate Life Office (GLO) is available 24/7 via the Stanford operator at (650) 723-7288, pager 25085, and during office hours at (650) 736-7078. The Bridge Peer Counseling Center offers counseling by trained students 24/7 at (650) 723-3392. The Faculty Staff Help Center, located in Kingscote Gardens, offers confidential help for Stanford faculty and staff.

Holden Foreman '21 was the Vol. 258-59 chief technology officer. Holden was president and editor-in-chief in Vol. 257, executive editor (vice president) in Vol. 256, managing editor of news in Vol. 254 and student business director in Vol. 255.