Ticket lottery opens for Hillary Clinton talk

A ticket lottery for former U.S. Secretary of State and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s keynote conversation at the launch of the new Global Digital Policy Incubator (GDPi) will open to Stanford students on Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m. The event is scheduled for Oct. 6 in CEMEX Auditorium.

Students may register for the lottery until the end of the day on Thursday and will be notified on Friday, Sept. 29 whether they have been randomly selected to receive a complimentary ticket.

Clinton will be speaking in conversation with Eileen Donahoe, executive director of GDPi’s and former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Human Rights Council, on “Digital Technology, Diplomacy, and Democratic Values.” The keynote will conclude a conference commemorating the new incubator’s launch at Stanford’s Center for Democracy, Development and the Rule of Law.

GDPi aims to “develop governance norms for the global digital ecosystem that reinforce democratic values, universal human rights and the rule of law” – an issue that Clinton recently addressed in her 2017 memoir, “What Happened,” which discussed the alleged Russian hacking during the 2016 presidential elections as one of several major events influencing the shock results.

Clinton initially kept a low political profile following her November defeat but has since returned to public life. In addition to writing her election memoir, Clinton established Onward Together, a progressive political action group, in May of 2017. She recently gave a commencement address at Wellesley College, her alma mater, and offered remarks at numerous other speaking engagements.

Contact Courtney Douglas at ccd4 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Courtney Douglas worked for The Daily from 2016 to 2020, and served as editor-in-chief of Volume 254.