Football predictions: Stanford vs. UCLA

Stanford (1-2, 0-1 Pac-12) vs. UCLA (2-1, 0-0)

Sam Curry: Stanford 34, UCLA 31

After watching Stanford’s offense go three-and-out for what seemed like an atrocious number of times last week against a pretty average San Diego State defense, I’m having trouble putting them down for over 30 points, but considering UCLA’s defense ranks 123rd in the country I have hope that we’ll see some explosive offense from Bryce Love & Co. As for the Cardinal defense, I see them struggling mightily against Josh Rosen, as he can pick apart any defense if he has the time Sam Darnold was given to throw two weeks ago. I would not be shocked if the total for this game ends up above 80. Being that it’s the home opener and with a two-game losing streak, I think Stanford comes out with a lot of energy and gets a close win in a shootout. Perhaps Jet Toner’s nerves are even put to the test with a game-winning field goal.

Ariana Rollins: Stanford 31, UCLA 28

I’m a little hesitant to put Stanford at 31, but given the high-scoring nature of UCLA’s last couple of games it’s hard to imagine us holding them to fewer points than this, especially given the asset they have in Josh Rosen. So, since it seems wrong to bet on Stanford losing, particularly given that odds that favor them, I’m making the call that Bryce Love will be able to run over their defense, and help Stanford win in a game that will most likely be closer than it should be. Shaw seems confident in Chryst and the energy from a home game should revitalize Stanford — though we might have a bit of a rocky start as the Stanford secondary adjusts to UCLA’s offense.

Jose Saldaña: Stanford 34, UCLA 38

I had Stanford winning against USC and San Diego State, so I hope I’m putting a reverse jinx on the Bruins by picking them to win. Here’s the case for UCLA: quarterback Josh Rosen. He has been incredible throwing the ball so far into the season. He’s first in passing yards (1,283) and passing touchdowns (13) and leads a Bruins offense which is averaging 48.7 points per game. If the Cardinal defense cannot pressure Rosen, then this game could look very similar to the USC game where quarterback Sam Darnold picked apart the secondary. Although the Stanford offense has been ineffective in the past two games, it should have an easier time against a bad Bruins defense. This will keep Stanford in the game, but in the fourth quarter, Rosen’s passing ability might prove too great to overcome. This Cardinal team is in a weird spot and have beaten UCLA nine straight times, so the Bruins might be due for a win.

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.