Track and field sends 32 athletes to qualifier

Stanford track and field is sending 32 student-athletes to the NCAA West Preliminaries this Memorial Day weekend in Austin, Texas. The 21 Cardinal women and 11 Cardinal men will compete for top-12 finishes in their respective events in order to advance to the NCAA Championships.

The Cardinal athletes competing this weekend had qualified with top-48 marks in their respective events during the season. As for the relays, athletes had to advance to this weekend by achieving a top-24 finish up to this point. The Championships include a 24-participant field for each event and are held June 7-10 in Eugene, Oregon.

Stanford is confident in sending eight top-12 seeded athletes, including Pac-12 1,500-meter champion Grant Fisher, who currently holds the No. 5 seed, and Pac-12 javelin champion Mackenzie Little as the No. 1 seed.

The most anticipated event for the Cardinal will be the women’s 1,500 meters, with six Cardinal athletes competing as top-30 seeds, and the throwing events, in which Stanford has eight qualifiers.

Senior Malika Waschmann, who placed third in the 1,500 at Pac-12s, will look to qualify for her final NCAA Championship appearance. Tristen Newman for the men’s team impressively qualified for two events, the hammer throw and shot put. Danielle Katz for the women’s team was also a double qualifier in the 5,000 and 3,000 steeplechase.

Contact Sydney Shaw at sshaw17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.