The final countdown: Baseball’s last home series of the season

Friday at 6 p.m. kicks off the weekend extravaganza as the Cardinal head into their last home series of the weekend at Sunken Diamond. Stanford baseball (34-14, 15-9 conference) goes up against Washington (26-22, 12-22 conference) in a three-game series.  

The Cardinal enter the series sitting in second place in the Pac-12. It is a weekend of celebration for Cardinal baseball with a conclusion on Friday night with fireworks over the ballpark. Saturday will honor Hall of Fame member Coach Marquess with a trading card and bobblehead giveaway, as it is the last chance to see No. 9 leading from the Stanford dugout. To conclude the celebrations, Senior Day for the Cardinal begins Sunday at 1 p.m. After an exciting season for Cardinal baseball, the weekend hopes to be one of festivity and triumph.

Stanford is built with solid pitching; their pitchers attack the strike zone early in the count to stay ahead of opposing hitters. Their defense is set up with speed and quickness up the middle, with all defenders maintaining their positions with solid force. Stanford pitching is lead by sophomore Kris Bubic, junior Andrew Summerville, senior Chris Castellanos and junior Colton Hock in relief.

The pitchers will be up against a Huskie offense comprised of top hitters including junior Joey Morgan (.331, 36 RBI), senior M.J. Hubbs (.305, 6 HR’s), sophomore Willie Maclver (.287) and senior Jack Meggs (.281, 14 doubles).

The Cardinal has quite an arsenal of its own though, all of which will be used in the weekend series. All nine of Marquess’ hitters have a specific role in a lineup intended to constantly put pressure on the opposition. Top hitters are junior Quinn Brodey, sophomore Duke Kinamon, junior Matt Winaker, freshman Daniel Bakst and sophomore Nico Hoemer.

The match will not be an easy one, despite Stanford’s strong numbers. Washington is first in defense in the conference and third in pitching. Top pitchers include junior Noah Bremer (6-2, ERA 2.29), sophomore Joe DeMers (6-3, ERA 2.76) and freshman Jordan Jones (4-7, 67 innings).

Stanford will face Washington in the home three-game weekend series starting at 6 p.m. on Friday at Sunken Diamond. Live updates and stats can be found at gostanford.com.

Contact Cate Camara at ccamara2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.