Rowing prepares for Pac-12 championships

The postseason begins this weekend for the Stanford men and women’s rowing teams. The No. 10-ranked men’s team and No. 8-ranked women’s team will travel to Lake Natoma, just outside of Sacramento, to compete in in the Pac-12 Championships.

The third varsity eight race will commence at 10:15 a.m., followed by the second varsity eight race at 10:45 a.m. and the first varsity eight race at 11:15. The Cardinal will face off against elite competition during the day, including No. 19 Oregon State, No. 2 Washington and No. 1 Cal.

The men’s team has rowed in dual races against Oregon State, Washington and Cal, managing to claim a varsity eight victory against Oregon State in the process. They most recently squared off against Cal at the Big Row but lost all three eight races on the day.

Last year, the men placed third in the Pac-12 Championships behind Cal and Washington, and they will look to improve upon that performance this year.

The Cardinal women begin their races at 9 a.m. with the novice eight grand final. The third varsity eight final is at 9:30 a.m., the second varsity eight races at 10:30 a.m. and the first varsity eight boats square off at 11 a.m. At 10 a.m., the grand finals for the varsity four boats will occur.

The Conference Championships for the women will also feature Oregon State, No. 20 UCLA, No. 15 USC, No. 14 Washington State, No. 2 California and No. 1 ranked Washington. Just like the men’s team, the women recently rowed against Cal and lost all three varsity eight races.

Last year, the women placed second as a team at the Pac-12 Championships. They lost a tight race to Cal that was decided by 0.8 seconds and will thus be looking for revenge this year.

The Pac-12 Network will televise the Pac-12 Championships with the broadcast airing at 10:30 a.m. Pacific time on Sunday, May 21.

Contact Bobby Pragada at bpragada ‘at’ stanford.edu.