Men’s volleyball set to host USC, Cal Baptist

On Thursday and Friday night, No. 8 Stanford men’s volleyball (4-2, 1-0 MPSF) will take on USC (2-5, 1-3) and Cal Baptist (2-5, 1-3) in Maples Pavilion. The Cardinal are coming off a bounce-back win against Pepperdine in their conference opener last weekend.

USC opened its season with a win against Concordia before dropping its next two matches, including one against top-ranked Ohio State. However, the Trojans were able to pull off a statement win over then-No. 3 Long Beach State in their conference opener. USC has performed better than its record suggests, but the Cardinal swept the Trojans in both of their matchups last season.

Despite the identical records, Cal Baptist’s season did not begin as auspiciously as USC’s as the Lancers fell to both Concordia and LBSU and were swept by their last two opponents, No. 2 UCLA and then-No. 12 UC Santa Barbara.

Offensively, Stanford will look to sophomore outside hitter Jordan Ewert, who leads the team with 77 kills on the season. Junior libero Evan Enriques will manage the Cardinal defense, as he paces the team with 2.05 digs per set.

Thursday’s match will be broadcasted on Pac-12 Bay Area and Pac-12 Los Angeles, and Friday’s will be streamed live on Pac-12.com. First serve for both matches is at 7 p.m.

Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.