2017 Stanford Daily Summer Internship Program

The 2017 summer internship program is now accepting applications. Please contact Ada Throckmorton at adastat@stanford.edu or Alexandra Bourdillon at abourdil@stanford.edu if you have any questions!

Thanks for your interest in a summer internship with The Stanford Daily! Here’s all the information you need about the program and how to apply. Applications are now open and will close on April 24, 2017! See the link below to apply.

(SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

WHO are we: The Daily has been Stanford’s only daily publication since 1892, as we print five days a week during the school year. Our website, stanforddaily.com, is also a hub for Stanford news for students, alumni and community members. For the past many years, The Daily has been proud to help high school students grow and develop their skills in many aspects of journalism, and we’re excited to provide you with this opportunity again!

WHO are you: We’re looking for talented high school writers and photographers with some journalistic training. Most of our interns are on their high school’s paper/magazine/other news outlet, but any relevant experience is great!

WHAT The Daily does in the summer: We don’t print during the summer, but we still publish online every day, and our site receives tens of thousands of hits each week. Our main sections are News, Sports, Opinions, Arts&Life and Multimedia.

WHAT you’ll participate in: A student-run, unpaid, part-time, eight-week summer internship program that will give you a taste of collegiate journalism. Each week, you’ll work with a group of two editors and four other interns to pitch story ideas, sign up for an article (or more) and then report on the story over the course of about a week. You’ll then have a chance to get hands-on feedback from your editor. We also have a weekly workshop that will help you continue to grow as a journalist. Students will publish work for the following sections of The Stanford Daily:

• News
  • Sports
  • Arts & Life
  • The Grind (blog-style)

In addition, there will be opportunity to explore multimedia, graphics and photography skills through hands-on workshops or editor-guided content production.

Our main learning goals for participants are for students to develop “news sense,” learn the form of a good news article and gain an understanding of journalistic integrity and ethics. All of this will be complemented by social activities as an opportunity to network with peers and Daily staffers.

WHEN: Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, June 21 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. At this intro session, we’ll go over some general info on reporting skills/ethics, and you’ll have a chance to meet your editors and claim your first assignments. Our editors will be running workshops from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the following seven Wednesdays (6/21, 6/28, 7/5, 7/12, 7/19, 2/26, 8/2, 8/9) in the evenings. The workshops are intended to grow students as journalists and provide in-person feedback and training from editors

WHERE: Our official address is 456 Panama Mall, Stanford, CA. However, note that our building is in the interior of campus so unfortunately it’s not too easy to just drive up directly to our office building. You’ll want to park in the Tresidder Union visitor lot (parking is free after 5 p.m.), and you can find our office using campus-map.stanford.edu (just search “Stanford Daily”).

HOW: To apply, all you have to do is visit the link below for our online application and fill out the short application by April 24! There will be a program fee (cost to be announced) for the combined workshops, personalized edits on every story and additional supplements to the program. If accepted into the program, you will be expected to fill out all necessary forms (Intern Code of Conduct, Editorial Code of Conduct and Program Waiver) and mail the registration fee via check by May 26. Applicants will be notified of their status by May 1.

Please visit our FAQ page for common questions about the program. If you have any remaining questions, feel free to contact Ada Throckmorton at adastat@stanford.edu or Alexandra Bourdillon at abourdil@stanford.edu.

Ready to apply? Follow this link to the application due April 24!