McCaffrey to forgo senior season, declare for NFL Draft

Dec. 6, 2016, 1:34 p.m.

Star running back Christian McCaffrey has decided to enter the 2017 NFL Draft, forgoing his senior season of eligibility.

The junior led the FBS with 211.6 all-purpose yards per game this year despite injury and overall offensive struggles in some early-season contests. A 2015 Heisman Trophy runner-up, he is likely to be picked in the first round.

McCaffrey announced his decision via Twitter on Wednesday morning, and the announcement was followed by an official statement from the junior that was released by the athletics department later that day.

McCaffrey has totaled 3,922 rushing yards, 1,206 receiving yards and 1,859 return yards during his career with the Cardinal, breaking Barry Sanders’ 1988 all-purpose yards record last season in six fewer plays. His final performance in cardinal and white will be on Dec. 30 as Stanford faces off with the UNC Tarheels in the Hyundai Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas.

Contact Tristan Vanech at tvanech ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Tristan Vanech is a sports managing editor and former news desk editor on the campus life beat. A Symbolic Systems major from Venice, CA, Tristan loves playing basketball and football. His most notable accomplishment at The Daily is leading its flag football team as quarterback to break a three-year drought in the annual Ink Bowl against the Daily Cal. Ball is life. Email him at [email protected].