Men’s basketball takes on Cal State Northridge in West Coast matchup

(BILL DALLY/isiphotos.com)
Reid Travis helps his team with an early-season win against Harvard. The squad will play their second match of the year against CSUN this Tuesday. (BILL DALLY/isiphotos.com)

Stanford men’s basketball (1-0) will host Cal State Northridge (1-1) on Tuesday night. The Cardinal are coming off an 80-70 victory over Harvard (0-1) to open the season in Shanghai. In the game, Stanford dominated on offense by outscoring the Crimson in the paint and out-rebounding the Crimson by seven boards.

Junior forward Reid Travis made his presence felt in the game by recording career-highs in points (24) and in rebounds (17) to round off a huge double-double. Stanford head coach Jerod Haase also made his debut with the team in the win over Harvard. He previously coached the University of Alabama, Birmingham, to one conference title and one NCAA tournament berth from 2012-16.

Cal State Northridge come into this matchup looking to make a statement after a loss to No. 16 UCLA. The Matadors held a lead on a strong Bruins team going into a halftime, but succumbed to the Bruins’ formidable offense in the second half. The Cardinal’s defense will be tested by a powerful Matadors scoring force, which has averaged 91.5 points per game in its first two games.

Tip-off is at 7 p.m. on Tuesday at Maples Pavilion.

Contact Jose Saldana at jsaldana ‘at’ stanford.edu.