Baseball takes two against UC Davis

Stanford baseball (27-21, 11-13 Pac-12) came away with two wins against UC Davis (16-31) today after they finished a suspended game from March 21 and won the scheduled game 3-1. An eighth inning go-ahead RBI single from junior Tommy Edman broke the 1-1 tie, and the Cardinal followed up with a double from sophomore Quinn Brodey to tack on an insurance run.

Freshman Kris Bubic stepped up and pitched 6.2 innings on a night when the bullpen was running thin. He allowed just one run on six hits and four walks with three strikeouts, escaping a bases-loaded jam in fifth before the Aggies tied the score at 1-1 on a single in the seventh.

“The difference this year is that we’ve pitched much better, and we’ve played really good defense,” said head coach Mark Marquess.

The stalemate continued until the bottom of the eighth, and after a game of paltry offense, it seemed likely this matchup could go into extra innings. Sophomore Matt Winaker lead off the bottom of the inning, and after a bunt took him to second, Edman ripped a single to center field, plating Winaker and giving Stanford a 2-1 lead.

Brodey’s double sealed the deal, as sophomore Keith Weisenberg retired the side in the top of the ninth to secure his second career win.

“It’s great,” Edman said. “We definitely needed that win at this point in the season. We need to win most of our games, if not every game, from here on out, so every game is just as important as the others.”

The Cardinal will travel north to Seattle this weekend to take on Washington. As it stands, they’ll need to win nearly every game to have a shot at the postseason. First pitch in Friday’s matchup will be at 5 p.m. and the game will be streamed live on Pac-12.com.

Contact Olivia Hummer at ohummer ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Olivia Hummer '17 is a managing editor of The Daily's sports section and writes about volleyball, football and baseball. When she's not filling in as an emergency copy editor, she can be found curled up in a ball bemoaning the misfortunes of her beloved Seattle Mariners or cursing the misuse of the Stanford Athletics logo. Olivia is a senior majoring in history from Covina, California, and can be reached at ohummer 'at' stanford.edu.