Athletics teams’ academics recognized by NCAA

Four men’s and 10 women’s Stanford athletic programs earned perfect scores in the NCAA’s multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR).

The annual APR tracks academic eligibility, student-athlete retention and graduation rates of participants receiving athletic scholarships for every team at Division I colleges and universities. The multi-year rate collects data over four academic years — beginning in the year 2011-12 — with a possible perfect score of 1,000.

Women’s teams that earned perfect multi-year scores included women’s basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo. Men’s basketball, tennis, water polo and wrestling were also recognized.

In addition, 17 teams (11 women’s, six men’s) earned perfect scores in the 2014-15 single-year measure. Student-athletes earn higher scores for maintaining academic eligibility, staying in school and graduating. The men’s teams that earned a perfect score last year were basketball, tennis, track and field, water polo and wrestling; women’s teams included basketball, cross country, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, soccer, softball, tennis, track and field, volleyball and water polo.

High-achieving teams typically earn scores ranging from about 977 to 1,000. Amongst the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), only Notre Dame came in ahead of Stanford, with 16 teams earning top marks in the multi-year rate.

Seventeen Stanford teams were also awarded the APR Public Recognition Award last week. The award tracks the long term APR scores of the top tenth of all squads in their sport.

Contact Fiona Kelliher at fionak ‘at’ stanford.edu.