Stanford students participate in Super Bowl 50 halftime show

Several members of the Stanford community participated in the Super Bowl 50 halftime show as audience members. (KATLYN ALAPATI/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford students surrounded the Super Bowl 50 halftime stage Sunday night as Beyoncé, Bruno Mars and headliner Coldplay performed at Levi’s Stadium.

A few Stanford student communities, including Delta Delta Delta and the Cardinal Ballet Company, were invited to participate in the Super Bowl 50 halftime show as the audience members dressed in black surrounding the stage.

“It was honestly so magical,” said Kaylee Bunner ’18, a sister of Delta Delta Delta. “Just to be on the field was such a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”

Both Bunner and Jessica Tam ’17, the performance coordinator for the Cardinal Ballet Company, said that some of the most exciting moments of the performance came when they were close to Beyoncé. Tam also mentioned that Coldplay lead singer, Chris Martin, gave her a high five — a highlight of the event for her.

“It was a really awesome experience. It was definitely one of the coolest things I’ve ever done,” Tam said.

All of the on-field audience members attended a halftime rehearsal with Coldplay, Bruno Mars and Beyoncé on Feb. 4. The students also rehearsed for six-hours on Jan. 31 without the three main performers at the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds, according to Bunner.

Beyoncé’s microphone was turned off during the Feb. 4 rehearsal so that the other performers could not hear her new single “Formation,” which was released Saturday, almost a week after the rehearsal.

Contact Katlyn Alapati at katlyn ‘at’ stanford.edu.

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that Coldplay, Bruno Mars and Beyoncé were present at the Jan. 31 rehearsal. The Daily regrets this error.