Alcohol incidents rise fall quarter

(VICTOR XU/The Stanford Daily)
Based on OAPE data. Note: includes both students and non-students. (VICTOR XU/The Stanford Daily)

According to statistics provided by the Stanford University Department of Public Safety (SUDPS), the number of alcohol transports, Drunk in Public arrests and Minor in Possession citations increased in fall quarter 2015 as compared to fall quarter 2014.

Fall quarter 2015 experienced 49 alcohol transports, while 37 transports occurred in Fall 2014. However, according to Office of Alcohol Policy and Education (OAPE) director Ralph Castro, the number of student alcohol transports actually declined from 35 in Fall 2014 to 31 in Fall 2015.

“Discrepancies in SUDPS figures and OAPE figures may be due to the inclusion of non-student cases being included in the police numbers,” Castro said in a written statement to The Daily.

Mirroring the rise in transports, Drunk in Public citations rose from 12 in Fall 2014 to 20 in Fall 2015. Castro reported that student Drunk in Public citations rose from 8 to 9 in those respective quarters.

Overall Minor in Possession citations rose from 18 to 30, comparing Fall 2014 to 2015. Stanford students made up a very high proportion of these citations, being responsible for 18 in Fall 2014 and 29 in Fall 2015.

“These citations are generally impacted by SUDPS staffing and enforcement. These numbers fluctuate each year,” Castro said.
According to Castro, there was not significant variation between 2014 and 2015 in incidents on the dorm to dorm level.

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.