Ty Thompson drafted 69th overall to San Jose Earthquakes in MLS SuperDraft

Ty Thompson completed one of the best draft classes in Stanford men’s soccer’s recent history, when the midfielder, who just graduated this fall, went 69th overall to the San Jose Earthquakes in the fourth round of the MLS SuperDraft on Tuesday.

Ty Thompson (right) was the third and final player to be drafted in the MLS SuperDraft. He went 69th overall, in the fourth round, while teammates Brandon Vincent and Eric Verso were selected last week in the first and second rounds, respectively. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)
Ty Thompson (right) was the third and final player from Stanford to be drafted in the MLS SuperDraft. He went 69th overall, while teammates Brandon Vincent and Eric Verso were selected in the first and second rounds, respectively.
(SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Thompson joined Stanford teammates Brandon Vincent (fourth overall) and Eric Verso (34th overall) as players from The Farm to be drafted into the league during the past week. They will likely be joined in the MLS by Jordan Morris, who recently rejected a deal with Bundesliga club Werder Bremen and is expected to sign a Homegrown contract with the Seattle Sounders.

With Thompson drafted yesterday, it marked the fourth time, and the first time in 13 years, that Stanford has had at least three players selected in the SuperDraft.

Thompson, who is from Sacramento, will be joining his younger brother Tommy, as well as former Stanford players Adam Jahn and JJ Koval, in San Jose.

The midfielder accumulated 9 assists in his career with Stanford and was named to this season’s All-Pac-12 team. He also served as co-captain alongside Vincent and helped lead the Cardinal to their first-ever national title, which culminated in a 4-0 defeat of Clemson in the championship game.

Contact Alexa Philippou at aphil723 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexa Philippou '18 is a political science major and a former Managing Editor of The Daily's sports section. She switched from the sports section to news her junior year, where she has worked on the university/local beat since. Being from Baltimore, she is a die-hard Ravens and Orioles fan who cried when the Ravens won the Super Bowl. To contact Alexa, please email her at aphil723 'at' stanford.edu.