AlertSU sends two sexual battery warnings

Over the past few days, the Stanford community received two notifications about a reported sexual assault taking place on Saturday, Jan. 16.

The two reports detailed an incident that occurred around 8:00 p.m. on Saturday in a women’s restroom near Memorial Church. One report stated that a 15-year-old girl was groped through her clothing upon attempting to leave the restroom by a white male who was a stranger to the victim.

The suspect was described as a man in his early 20s, six feet tall with a full beard, wearing a red and white Stanford hoodie, black sweatpants with “Stanford” printed on the leg and white shoes. The victim was not physically injured and chose not to provide a statement to the police.

The information detailing the reports was made available to students through AlertSU, Stanford’s emergency notification system. Through emails and text messages, AlertSU notifies students about emergency events on campus such as sexual assault, aggravated assault, robbery, arson, criminal homicide, theft and drug-and weapon-related arrests.

The two AlertSU emails provided information about how to prevent and report sexual assault as well as how to seek counseling. To report sexual assault, students are advised to contact the police, Stanford’s Department of Public Safety or the Title IX office. For both confidential and non-confidential counseling as well as other resources for sexual assault prevention, students are urged to visit Stanford’s Not Alone campaign.

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this article introduced ambiguity as to whether or not the two reports were detailing separate incidents; the two reports described the same incident.

Contact Susannah Meyer at smeyer7 ‘at’ stanford.edu.