Women’s basketball begins road trip against struggling Oregon

On Friday, No. 11 Stanford women’s basketball (13-3, 3-1 Pac-12) will continue its search for consistency as it starts a four-game road trip in Eugene against Oregon (11-4, 0-4).

Sophomore forward Kaylee Johnson (left) scored a career-high 17 points off the bench in the Stanford's win at Colorado. Each of the Cardinal's three road wins this season has featured strong performances from the bench (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily).
Sophomore forward Kaylee Johnson (left) scored a career-high 17 points off the bench in the Stanford’s win at Colorado. Each of the Cardinal’s three road wins this season has featured strong performances from the bench. (RAHIM ULLAH/The Stanford Daily).

The Cardinal are going to Eugene on a two-game winning streak after falling in their last away match to No. 10 Arizona State. In their loss to the Sun Devils, the Cardinal were helpless on offense, held to only 31 points while shooting 23.8 percent from the field.

From that loss, however, the Cardinal have rebounded successfully. After coming back to Maples Pavilion, the Cardinal have found their stride in the past two games, outscoring their opponents by 17.5 points per game and looking like the well-oiled machine that went on a five-game winning streak earlier this season.

On the opposing side, the Ducks have failed to live up to their potential in the beginning of the season. After starting the season 11-0 in non-conference play, Oregon has dropped four games in a row and has yet to find a way to win against Pac-12 opposition.

The Ducks have shown a severe drop in quality in the last two games, scoring a total of 78 points while conceding 119.

One of the many reasons behind the collapse has been a decrease in the production of the team’s leading scorer and rebounder, senior forward Jillian Alleyne. In the first 11 victories of the season, Alleyne averaged 18.9 points per game on 68.5 percent shooting from the field. Yet in the past two losses, Alleyne has only scored 16 points while making just 23 percent of her shots.

Despite the past performances from Oregon, the Cardinal should not take this game lightly. While posting successful numbers in their recent games, the Cardinal are only 3-2 on the road and inconsistency has plagued Stanford the entire season.

Stanford will have to rely on depth production during its match in Eugene. When the Cardinal have pulled victories on opponent’s courts, the bench has played a significant offensive role. The Cardinal offense must effectively balance the rotation and get its bench involved.

In Stanford’s last victory, against Colorado, sophomore forward Kaylee Johnson came off the bench and scored a career-high 17 points as well as earning 11 rebounds.

“When I start on the bench, I can see what is going on,” Johnson said after the game. “I just try to bring energy and to be aggressive.”

Overall, the game should be one in which Stanford should prove its might. Against the bottom of the Pac-12, the Cardinal have to play to their defensive strength, containing Alleyne and effectively keeping the Oregon offense at bay. Yet, most importantly, the Cardinal must ensure their bench presence in order to secure a much-needed road victory.

Contact Lorenzo Rosas at enzor9 ‘at’ stanford.edu