What’s at stake: 102nd Rose Bowl Game

As Stanford and Iowa get set to meet in the 102nd Rose Bowl Game, the magnitude of the game is readily apparent. It is, after all, the Granddaddy of Them All. Let’s take a closer look at what exactly a win on Friday would mean for each program.

• For Stanford, making its third trip to Pasadena in four years, this game provides a chance for the Cardinal to capture their second Rose Bowl this decade and finish the season with 12 wins for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
  • On the other hand, the Hawkeyes have not won a Rose Bowl Game since Dwight Eisenhower was President. With a win, Iowa, making its sixth Rose Bowl appearance overall, can erase a long drought and bring the trophy back to Iowa City for the first time since 1959. Winning this game would be kind of a big deal.
  • A win on New Year’s Day would allow Stanford’s senior class to finish with 43 wins, which would move this group into a tie for second in school history with the class of 2013, just behind the class of 2014 (46) and ahead of the class of 2015 (42)
  • Kirk Ferentz can earn the 128th win of his head coaching career, all coming in Iowa. A win would also move Ferentz ahead of UMass’s Mark Whipple for the 20th-most wins amongst all active FBS coaches.
  • Stanford head coach David Shaw can improve his bowl record to 3-2 overall and win the second New Year’s Six bowl of his career.
  • With Michigan State’s Connor Cook losing in the Cotton Bowl, Kevin Hogan will finish his career as the winningest active FBS quarterback. He can add icing to the cake with win number 36, the most in program history.

Contact Vihan Lakshman at vihan ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Vihan Lakshman's journey at The Stanford Daily came full-circle as he began his career as a football beat writer and now closes his time on The Farm in the same role. In between, he has served as an Opinions columnist and desk editor, a beat writer for Stanford baseball, and as a member of The Daily's Editorial Board. Vihan completed his undergraduate degree in Mathematical and Computational Science in 2016, and is currently pursuing a master's in Computational Mathematics. He also worked as a color commentator on KZSU football broadcasts during the 2015 season. To contact him, please send an email to vihan 'at' stanford.edu