Top matchups: 102nd Rose Bowl Game

Dec. 31, 2015, 7:00 p.m.

Christian McCaffrey, RB (So.) vs. Josey Jewell, LB (So.)

The last time we saw Mr. McCaffrey take the field, he racked up 461 all-purpose yards, leaving the shards of a fallen Troy in his wake. On gameday, it will be imperative for the Hawkeyes to contain Stanford’s all-everything playmaker and that starts with Iowa’s all-everything linebacker in Jewell, the Black and Gold’s leading tackler. McCaffrey has thrived this season on leaving linebackers in the dust, and Jewell will undoubtedly play a critical role in working to contain Stanford’s primary weapon.

Kodi Whitfield, SS (Sr.) vs. C.J. Beathard, QB (Jr.)

The Hawkeyes finished the year with 17 plays of 40 yards or more — more than they recorded in 2012 and 2013 combined — second in the Big 10. A critical component in Iowa’s ability to hit the homerun has been the play-action pass and quarterback C.J. Beathard’s ability to look off opposing safeties. Stanford’s Kodi Whitfield will be one of the Cardinal defensive backs engaged in that duel with Beathard on the back end. The Cardinal defense has emphasized eliminating explosive plays all season long, and Whitfield’s ability to read Beathard will be a fascinating matchup to look out for.

Blake Martinez, LB (Sr.) vs. Jordan Canzeri, RB (Sr.)

The Hawkeyes have massively benefited from possessing a hydra in the running game: Every time a back goes down, two more appear to take his place. Canzeri has remained the alpha dog of this group throughout the the season and will likely be fed the ball early and often. Martinez, the Pac-12’s leading tackler, has excelled at identifying where plays are going and stepping up to seal the gap. In Pasadena, Martinez will be counted on again to limit the Hawkeyes ground game and help the Cardinal get off the field on third down.

Ronnie Harris, CB (5Sr.) vs Tevaun Smith, WR (Sr.)

The emotional leader of the Stanford defense returned to action in the Pac-12 Championship on a bum ankle and shut down USC’s JuJu Smith Schuster in the first half. Now back at full strength, Harris will likely line up against Iowa’s most explosive receiver in Smith. Smith possesses the type of speed that can turn the tide of a game in a heartbeat, and he will be in for quite an entertaining battle with Harris, Stanford’s leader in passes defended.

Joshua Garnett, OG (Sr.) vs. Desmond King, CB (Jr.)

A guard versus a cornerback? You heard that right. This matchup likely wouldn’t have made our cut a week ago, but King made sure that all eyes will be on a potential clash between the nation’s best cornerback and interior lineman in space. During a session with the media, King pledged that he would “take Garnett out” using his mysterious triangle technique. Garnett, when asked about King’s comments, took the high road, but made it clear that he is very aware of what was said and later followed up on social media.

It’s not every day we recommend keeping your eyes on 321-pound pulling guard and a crashing, 200-pound corner, but this just might be more entertaining than anything that’s happening with the ball. Let the games within the game begin.  

Contact Vihan Lakshman at vihan ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Vihan Lakshman's journey at The Stanford Daily came full-circle as he began his career as a football beat writer and now closes his time on The Farm in the same role. In between, he has served as an Opinions columnist and desk editor, a beat writer for Stanford baseball, and as a member of The Daily's Editorial Board. Vihan completed his undergraduate degree in Mathematical and Computational Science in 2016, and is currently pursuing a master's in Computational Mathematics. He also worked as a color commentator on KZSU football broadcasts during the 2015 season. To contact him, please send an email to vihan 'at' stanford.edu