Field hockey hosts UC Davis in penultimate regular season game

The No. 13 Stanford field hockey team (10-5, 2-2 America East) prepares to host UC Davis (7-10, 0-4), which is on the hunt for revenge after a 2-1 loss to the Cardinal earlier this season.

STANFORD, CA - August 29, 2014:  The Stanford Cardinal vs the Delaware Blue Hens at Varsity Field Hockey Turf in Stanford, CA. Final score Stanford Cardinal 4, Delaware Blue Hens 0.
Senior goalie Dulcie Davies (above) has the second-best save percentage in the nation (.825). The team will rely on her skill this weekend when hosting UC Davis in a must-win conference matchup. (DAVID BERNAL/isiphotos.com)

The Aggies will come to The Farm after struggling for most of the season, especially on the road, where they have a 3-5 record and allowed an average of 3 goals per game in those losses. On the other hand, Stanford, who is third in the America East division by one game, will hope to utilize any gained momentum from its 4-0 thrashing of the Cal Bears. The victory came two days after the Cardinal had dropped their previous conference game in a 1-0 nail biter against Pacific.

Looking ahead to Friday, the Cardinal will hope to continue the offensive explosion they generated against Cal and to threaten a weak Davis defense that let in 4 goals against the Pacific Tigers this past Sunday. Against Cal, Stanford had four different players who scored, as well as 4 other shots saved by Cal goalkeeper Kori Griswold.

Over the past few games, the Stanford offense has continued its pass-heavy, well-balanced form of attack, with its 12th different player — sophomore Katie Keyser — adding to the season scoresheet in the game against Cal.

In order to beat UC Davis, however, the offense will need to start the game extremely strong and play as an offensive threat beginning at the first whistle. The Cardinal have been more productive in the first half over the tenure of the season, with 17 first-half goals this year, and once Stanford has been able to establish the dominance of a game early, its defense has been able to maintain command throughout the game.

The very same defense will look to remain as solid as they have been this past month, letting in five goals over the team’s five matches thus far in October. The Cardinal continue to rely on senior goalkeeper Dulcie Davies, who boasts a .825 save percentage that is second best in the country. The Cardinal defense will clash against a Davis team that averages 1.53 goals per game, last in the America East West division.

The Cardinal need to win this match to stay in contention for the top spot in the America East West division, as both Cal and Pacific hold a one-game advantage over Stanford.

Following the match against Davis, Stanford will have one more conference match-up against the Pacific Tigers. The strength and confidence that the Cardinal could pick up with a good outing against UC Davis will likely help the team in its crucial end-of-season matchup.

The game will be played on the Varsity Turf at Stanford on Friday, Oct. 23 at 6 p.m.  

Contact Lorenzo Rosas at enzor9 ‘at’ stanford.edu.