Women’s volleyball faces tough battle ahead against No. 4 Washington

The No. 11 Stanford women’s volleyball team (11-5, 5-3 Pac-12) returns to Maples Pavilion from its weekend trip to the Rockies, facing No. 4 Washington (17-1, 7-1 Pac-12) at home on Wednesday.

The Stanford women's volleyball team recently split weekend games with a win against Utah and a loss to Colorado. Next up the Cardinal will be hosting another top opponent, No. 4 Washington, at Maples. (MIKE RASAY/isiphotos.com)
The Stanford women’s volleyball team recently split weekend games with a win against Utah and a loss to Colorado. Next up the Cardinal will be hosting another top opponent, No. 4 Washington, at Maples. (MIKE RASAY/isiphotos.com)

The team saw mixed results on its road trip, first sweeping Utah (7-12, 1-7) before falling to Colorado (12-8, 4-4) in four sets. It was Stanford’s second loss to an unranked opponent this year, after the team was defeated by UNC in early September. Before this season, the Cardinal had gone a remarkable stretch of six years without losing to an unranked team in the regular season, with their last such loss coming in 2009 against Notre Dame.

The team will not have any respite, however, as they attempt to bounce back against a Washington squad that is among the best in the country. The Huskies have hardly been challenged this season, losing a mere 4 sets in their 17 games. Meanwhile, their only loss came at the hands of undefeated USC, who currently sits atop the national polls.

Senior middle blockers Lianna Sybeldon and and Melanie Wade anchor perhaps the best front row in the nation, as the Huskies rank first in the NCAA in hitting percentage (.319) and opponent hitting percentage (.124).

Sybeldon, an All-Pac-12 Team selection in 2014, has been absolutely dominant so far this season and has the best individual hitting percentage in the country (.470). Sophomore outside hitter Tia Scambray has also been a strong force for the Huskies this season, averaging 2.47 kills per set.

The Cardinal have historically fared well against Washington, holding an overall 50-13 series lead. However, the UW has had Stanford’s number in recent years, beating the Cardinal in two of their last three meetings, including a four-set victory in Seattle in the penultimate game of the 2014 season, snapping Stanford’s perfect 28-0 record.

Stanford will look to reverse its fortunes this year at Maples Pavilion, where the team has gone 6-1. Head coach John Dunning will require another strong performance from freshman sensation Hayley Hodson, who recorded a career-high tying 22 kills in her last game against the Buffs.

Hodson’s effectiveness on the outside has also drawn defenders away from junior middle blocker Merete Lutz, who has benefited as a result: Lutz is averaging 3.17 kills per set this year compared to 2.53 last season, while also hitting at a team-leading .365 clip.

Hodson and Lutz will have to be in top form for Stanford to have a chance to upset the Huskies. Meanwhile, freshman libero Halland McKenna and the rest of the Cardinal defense will have their hands full against the imposing Husky attack. Stanford also will look to get off to a hot start, as the team is 8-0 on the season when winning the first set.

Wednesday’s 7:30 p.m. game is the first of four at home for the Cardinal, as the team will also face Washington State, No. 13 Arizona State and No. 14 Arizona. The game will also be aired live on Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Neel Ramachandran at neelr ‘at’ stanford.edu.