Kelley’s world: Stanford alum’s vision for theatre

unnamed-1
Photo by Terry Gannon.

“I think arts are basic to life — they’re basic to any strong community.” Sitting down with Robert Kelley, founder and Artistic Director of Theatreworks, I could feel the never-ending passion and excitement he has for the world of theatre. A common quality shared amongst Stanford graduates like Kelley is the ability to discover new ways to revolutionize and transform their chosen field. For Kelley, innovation and new ways of thinking seem second nature — Theatreworks has become a pinnacle of new works and programs in the theatre community of the Bay Area and beyond.

Kelley has been involved in the arts from an early age, remembering piano lessons, playing in a rock and roll band, acting and trying out different art projects before college. A creative writing major at Stanford, Kelley experienced a “revelation over time” for his true passion — directing — where he could continue to explore several art forms. According to Kelley, as a director you do not have to specialize in one area of artistry; you need “a familiarity with the premises of the artists you work with.” Theatreworks, a professional non-profit theatre company currently celebrating its 46th season, began when Kelley collaborated with 75 high school and college-aged artists to produce “Popcorn,” an original musical. The show shed light to young people in the Bay Area during the ’70s when distrust occurred between families during the antiwar movement; “Popcorn” attempted to “bridge the gap between generations.” An immediate hit, “Popcorn” launched Theatreworks’ strong commitment to the local community, educational outreach, celebration of diversity, musical theatre, new works and collaboration with young performers. These remain the core principles of Theatreworks today.

Since its establishment, Theatreworks has constantly pushed boundaries in the theatre world. In 2002, Theatreworks launched its New Works festival, an annual event each August highlighting an abundance of new work. Each year thousands of scripts are submitted for consideration, but only a select few are chosen for the festival. “We read hundreds and hundreds of plays [and musicals] every year.” For those who are lucky enough to be produced in the New Works Festival, it can certainly pay off. “Memphis,” a musical presented in the very first New Works Festival, became an instant smash hit and was promoted as a part of Theatreworks’ mainstage season directed by Kelley. “Memphis” was then picked up by a producer and eventually made it to Broadway, where it received the Tony Award for Best New Musical. Theatreworks also brings fresh ideas to existing plays: Last season, Kelley directed Sondheim’s “Sweeney Todd” and set it during the London Blitz (1940-1941) as opposed to its original setting in 1846 — a bold artistic choice. Kelley’s current project, a musical version of Jane Austen’s “Emma,” has a score that sounds “more [like] pop music but it feels just like what they would sing.” Not what you would expect in a work set in 1815!

With original works from Theatreworks being produced across the United States, Canada, London and even Japan, the company has humbly kept a strong and devoted relationship to the Bay Area community. Theatreworks’ education program starts at the kindergarten level and includes camps, classes and even conservatories for young artists in all areas of theatre. Kelley has returned to Stanford this quarter to teach a history of the American Dramatic Musical with an emphasis on following the production of “Emma,” hoping to contribute to the Stanford community’s growing interest in musical theatre. Kelley’s next challenge? Helping the internationally focused big businesses of the Silicon Valley to notice “what’s happening in their [own] backyard… to activate the power of our region in support of the arts.” And for aspiring artists, whether they are focused on directing, playwriting, management or performance, Kelley’s advice is simple: “It takes luck. It takes persistence. It takes immense work. And it takes joy. If you love it, all the other things are easy… so see if you fit that profile. If it’s you, then go for it.”

Theatreworks’ current production is “Proof,” by David Auburn. For more information and tickets, visit www.theatreworks.org or call 650.463.1960.

Contact Bella Wilcox at belwilc ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Bella Wilcox is a senior studying Communication and Theater and Performance Studies. She is a writer for Stanford Journalism's Peninsula Press and her poetry will be featured in the upcoming edition of the Stanford Journal of Asian American Studies. Her original play will premiere on campus this spring. Bella is a freelance DJ and concert planner.