Mass notification test scheduled for Oct. 8

The annual Stanford campus alert system test will be conducted next Thursday on Oct. 8. A series of alert messages and siren warnings will be employed to assess community emergency preparedness.

The test will occur sometime between noon and 1 p.m. An initial alert message will be sent to every member of the Stanford community via text message, mobile phone and email. Contact information for a Stanford affiliate is automatically uploaded to the AlertSU system if the individual has opted in and updated their contact information.

In an email statement, Linda Saunders of the Public Safety Department said, “This test is a good reminder to be sure that your contact information is updated in the appropriate university databases.”

During the test, the outdoor warning system will also be activated and each of the seven sirens around campus will sound an audible tone for about one minute. A verbal message will follow this alarm.

The annual test is in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, a federal act that requires institutions participating in federal student aid programs to disclose campus safety information and impose certain policies for emergency situations and incidents of sexual violence. This year’s test is the same as those of previous years.

Contact Alex Bourdillon at abourdil ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Alexandra Bourdillon '18 is a freshman from Cupertino, CA. When she's not eating waffles, she can be found reading tea leaves or quantifying the land-speed velocity of a swallow (African, not European). After Stanford she hopes to explore the world, although the Bay Area will always be her home. To contact Alexandra, email her at abourdil ‘at’ stanford.edu.