No. 18 Stanford dominant in 55-17 win over Arizona

After scoring a combined 83 points in two games on the road, the Stanford offense came home and picked up right where it left off.

No. 18 Stanford (4-1, 3-0 Pac-12) displayed absolute dominance from start to finish, cruising to a 55-17 win over the Arizona Wildcats (3-2, 0-2).

Fifth-year senior quarterback Kevin Hogan finds space to run in, despite a lingering ankle injury. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

On the offensive end, everything clicked for the Cardinal. Kevin Hogan was tremendously efficient before an exit in the second half, completing 17-of-19 passes for 217 yards and 2 touchdowns. Hogan continued his brilliant run this season, demonstrating a high level of poise with well-timed, accurate throws despite plenty of pocket pressure.

On the ground, Stanford received contributions from just about everyone. Christian McCaffrey contributed 156 yards and a touchdown, Remound Wright ran in a pair of 1-yard scores and Barry Sanders exploded for a 65-yard touchdown.

Meanwhile, on the defensive side, the Cardinal effectively silenced the potent Wildcats offense for the entire first half, with Stanford heading into the locker room at halftime with a 27-3 lead. The defense was relentless against Jerrard Randall, who got the start in place of injured quarterback Anu Solomon, while Pac-12 leading rusher Nick Wilson was held to just 46 yards and 2.7 yards per carry.

The win extends Stanford’s winning streak to four, which will next be put to the test against UCLA on Oct. 15 after a bye week.

A photo gallery of the game is viewable here: https://stanforddaily.com/2015/10/04/photo-gallery-stanford-vs-arizona/

This post will be updated.

Contact Sandip Srinivas at sandips ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sandip Srinivas '18 is the Football Editor, a sports desk editor and a beat writer for men's basketball and football at The Stanford Daily. Sandip is a sophomore from Belmont, California that roots for the San Francisco Giants during even years and roots for Steph Curry year-round. He is majoring in Symbolic Systems and can be contacted via email at sandips 'at' stanford.edu.