Stanford soccer star Jordan Morris out for four to six weeks with leg injury

July 3, 2015, 1:02 p.m.

Stanford and U.S. Men’s National Team forward Jordan Morris underwent surgery for a stress fracture in his leg on Monday. A spokesperson for Stanford athletics said that the forward is expected to miss four to six weeks.

Morris, of course, has been on a tear this past year, going from a promising youth team prospect to the first college player called up to the national team in over a decade. He started all 15 games in which he played for Stanford this year, tallying 4 goals, 14 points and a team-high 6 assists, and was also named to the All-Pac-12 First Team.

(JIM SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)
After undergoing surgery for a stress fracture in his leg, Stanford forward and emerging USMNT star Jordan Morris is expected to miss four to six weeks. Morris tallied 4 goals and a team-high 6 assists for the Cardinal this season. (JIM SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

For the national team, he scored against Mexico in April in his first international start, and assisted Bobby Wood’s 90th-minute game winner against the Netherlands in Amsterdam on June 5.

He would have been in the United States’ Gold Cup roster if not for the injury, according to coach Jurgen Klinsmann. “He’s one of our most promising talents coming through the ranks, but those setbacks happen and maybe we see him towards the end of the tournament joining the group just for the fun of it,” Klinsmann told USsoccer.com. “It’s just sad for him because he was in very good shape.”

Stanford fans shouldn’t worry too much however, as Morris is expected to be back in time for the start of Stanford’s fall season. Stanford will play exhibition matches against CSU Fullerton and Santa Clara on Aug. 17 and Aug. 22 before playing its first competitive match on Aug. 28 against UC Santa Barbara.

Contact Andrew Choi at andrewyoonchoi ‘at’ gmail.com.