Fashion report: You got a little something on your neck

Chokers have recently, for better or worse, made a comeback on our necks and in our hearts. How did this happen? Who started it? Where can chokers be purchased if you don’t have time to drive to the nearest Claire’s or Limited Too???

In the ’90s, fashion icons ranging from Princess Diana to the incomparable Olson twins rocked chokers. Hilary Erhard* Duff kept the trend alive for a while before she aged out of Lizzy McGuire and began pursuing more serious roles like a sister in Cheaper by the Dozen 2. Chokers, like jelly sandals and embellished jeans, floated out of the popular imagination and into obsolescence by 2009.

Or so I thought. In the last few months, though, chokers have started turning up everywhere from Fashion Week shows to the necks of Stanford students.

To get to the bottom of this, Lomita sat down with Caroline Doyle, trendy sophomore and recreational ironist, for comment. Doyle shared that she started wearing chokers in February 2015 after repeatedly encountering the trend on Tumblr. She has since ordered both a black and a multi-colored choker from online vendors. Although Doyle has faced adversity since purchasing two chokers, largely due to the choker’s historical associations with prostitution, she feels this necky fashion statement is, ultimately, worthwhile. Chokers make her feel empowered to be her own person! Rock on, Doyle!

Want to join Doyle in the fun of feeling an itchy adornment on your neck all day? Either go to the Gap and buy a woolen turtleneck or order a choker (or two!) online: good places to look are Etsy, eBay and Nasty Gal’s online shop.

*Wikipedia says this is her real middle name. Also did you know she dated Joel Madden?** the things you learn on Wikipedia.

** When I first read that, I thought it said Steve Madden. I was like “whaaat?!”

Contact Lora Kelley at lkelley ‘at’ stanford.edu