Baseball defeats USF after seventh-inning rally

After a slow start for the Cardinal, which were held scoreless until the fifth inning, Stanford beat the University of San Francisco 5-3 on Tuesday night.

Momentum shifted with the first out of the fifth inning, with a great snag by freshman infielder Mikey Diekroeger. The Cardinal then regained their rhythm offensively when Jack Klein hit a single that brought home Matt Winaker for Stanford’s first run of the night to tie the game 1-1.

Junior outfielder Jonny Locher (right) was one of six Cardinal players with hits on Tuesday. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Things started sliding downhill again for Stanford in the seventh inning, however, when USF’s Ross Puskarich advanced to second on a wild pitch by Joey Starling. Aaron Ping then hit a double to left-center, scoring Puskarich. An RBI single by Michael Eaton then put the Dons back up by two.

The Card came back from this two-run deficit in the bottom of the seventh after a combination of poor San Francisco defense and good hitting by Stanford.

Both Winaker and Alex Dunlap were walked and Klein laid down a sacrifice bunt to advance Winaker and Dunlap. Jesse Kuet, who was pinch-hitting for catcher Bryce Carter, singled to score Winaker. Tommy Edman hit another single, advancing Dunlap, who then scored a run after a dropped fly ball by USF infielder Aaron Ping. Stanford added two more runs on a wild pitch and a sacrifice fly.

Contact Laura Stickells at lauraczs ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Laura Stickells is one of the Managing Editors of Sports at The Stanford Daily. Growing up in the small, rural town of Bishop, California, Laura captained the powderpuff football team and became particularly adept at driving heavy equipment in her later years, a skill that helped her find a position as an intern at NBC Sports this summer working on Olympic coverage. In her spare time, Laura competes on the Stanford Equestrian Team. She also writes football better than the boys. Laura is a sophomore majoring in communications and can be reached at lauraczs 'at' stanford.edu.