Board of Trustees elects two new members

Angela Filo was recently elected to the Board of Trustees (Courtesy of Angela Filo).

The Stanford University Board of Trustees recently elected two new members: Angela S. Filo, founder of the Yellow Chair Foundation, and Bret E. Comolli, executive chairman of Asurion Corp., a mobile technology services company. They will begin their five-year terms on April 1. The Board now has 36 members.

The Board is custodian of the endowment and all the properties of Stanford University. They administer the invested funds, determine policies for operation and control of the University and sets the annual budget. The Board also has the power to appoint a president.

Filo established the Yellow Chair Foundation in 2000. She leads the day-to-day operations and programmatic work of the family foundation, which awards grants to organizations focused on education, civil liberties, gender equity and the environment.

Bret Comolli was recently elected to the Board of Trustees. The five year term begins April 1.

Filo earned a B.A. in Human Biology at Stanford in 1993 and then a M.A. in journalism at the University of California, Berkeley, in 1999. She and her husband, David (M.S. ’90), have supported several areas at the University, including helping to launch the Stanford Interdisciplinary Graduate Fellowship and establishing professorships in the Graduate School of Education and the School of Engineering.

Comolli became Executive Director of Asurion in 2010 and served as the company’s CEO from 2001 to 2010. He earned an MBA at the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB) in 1989 after serving for five years as an officer of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. He earned a B.S. in civil and mechanical engineering at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1982.

Comolli is the chairman of the GSB Management Board and serves on the board of directors of Stanford Health Care. He also serves on the Major Gifts Committee for the $1 billion Campaign for Stanford Medicine and is a member of the national advisory board of the Haas Center for Public Service at Stanford.

Contact Josee Smith at jsmith11 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Josee Smith is a senior this year, majoring in anthropology with a minor in Spanish. She is the desk editor for the student groups beat and has spent her last 3 years at The Daily as both a staff writer and contributing writer. Originally from Washington State, Josee came to California for the warm weather and stayed for the awesome reporting. To contact her, please email jsmith11 'a' stanford.edu.