Stanford earns No. 2 seed in NIT, will host UC Davis Tuesday

The NCAA Selection Comittee announced the final 68 teams that will play in the 2015 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament this afternoon. As expected, Stanford did not make the final field, with the Cardinal instead earning a berth in the National Invitational Tournament (NIT).

Stanford earned a No. 2 seed in the Colorado State quadrant and will host UC Davis on Tuesday at 8 p.m.

The Aggies were hoping for an NCAA tournament apperance but lost to Hawaii in the Big West semifinals and missed out on an automatic bid. They are led by standout senior guard Corey Hawkins, who leads the team in assists, rebounds and points per game at 20.4.

The Cardinal won the 2012 NIT over Minnesota and are looking to salvage the remains of what was once a promising season.

Of interest:

In the end, 3 Pac-12 teams received an at-large bid after Arizona earned an automatic berth as the Pac-12 Tournament champion.

The Wildcats received a No. 2 seed in the West Region sitting opposite No. 1 Wisconsin. Oregon, who faced Arizona in the conference final, received an 8 seed in the same region and will play No. 9 Oklahoma State in its first game.

Utah drew a No. 5 seed in the South region with Duke sitting as the top seed. Despite a 2-8 record against RPI top-50 teams, the UCLA Bruins also received an at large-bid and are the No. 11 seed in their region.

Contact Irving Rodriguez at irodriguez ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Irving Rodriguez is a beat reporter for men's soccer and basketball. He was born in Mexico, but has lived in Chicago since second grade. He is all too willing to skip homework in order to watch the Chicago Bulls and Manchester United and will defend Derrick Rose until the very end. He likes to write about soccer, basketball and analytics. Irving is a senior majoring in Physics. To contact him, please email irodriguez 'at' stanford.edu.