Oprah Winfrey to deliver annual Stanford lecture on a meaningful life

According to the Stanford Report, Oprah Winfrey, a global media leader, producer, philanthropist and actress, will deliver “Harry’s Last Lecture on a Meaningful Life” at 7 p.m. on April 20 in Stanford Memorial Church.

The lecture honors the late Stanford Law School professor Harry Rathbun, who delivered his distinguished “Last Lecture” every year from the 1930s through the 1950s.

“Oprah encourages so many to find the path to a meaningful life,” said Jane Shaw, dean for religious life. “She fits the remit for this speaker series perfectly, and we look forward to hearing her wisdom and experience.”

Oprah is the sixth person chosen as the Rathbun Visiting Fellow by the Office for Religious Life to deliver “Harry’s Last Lecture.” Previous visiting fellows include His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and Sandra Day O’Connor, retired associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

The Rathbun Visiting Fellow also spends time on campus engaging in deeper conversations with smaller groups of students, faculty and staff members in a variety of other programs hosted by the dean for religious life.

Students, faculty and staff members interested in attending Oprah’s lecture will be able to enter a lottery for free tickets. More information will be available after classes resume for spring quarter.

Contact Josee Smith at jsmith11 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Josee Smith is a senior this year, majoring in anthropology with a minor in Spanish. She is the desk editor for the student groups beat and has spent her last 3 years at The Daily as both a staff writer and contributing writer. Originally from Washington State, Josee came to California for the warm weather and stayed for the awesome reporting. To contact her, please email jsmith11 'a' stanford.edu.