Cardinal suffer late-inning heartbreak against Aggies

After leading 4-2 going into the fifth inning, Stanford’s softball team fell victim to a UC Davis comeback on Wednesday afternoon, losing by a score of 7-4.

Junior slugger Kayla Bonstrom, who is batting 9-for-13 over her last three games, batted in all four of Stanford's runs in the Cardinal's 7-4 loss against UC Davis. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)
Junior slugger Kayla Bonstrom, who is batting 9-for-13 over her last three games, knocked in all four of Stanford’s runs in the Cardinal’s 7-4 loss against UC Davis. (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

Stanford (12-11) was only able to build up that lead due to another great day at the plate for junior Kayla Bonstrom, who went 3-for-4 and drove in all four of the Cardinal’s runs. Bonstrom is 9-for-13 with three HRs over her last three games and has certainly lived up to her expectations as the best bat on the team.

The game seemed within Stanford’s reach until the bottom of the sixth inning. After the Aggies tied the game at 4 on a single up the middle, Aggie sophomore Alexis Carney hit a three-run homer off of sophomore pitcher Kylie Sorenson to effectively seal the win for UC Davis (7-10).

The Stanford offense couldn’t seem to get a spark after Bonstrom’s home run in the third inning. A lot of credit is due to UC Davis pitcher Leah Munden, who pitched three shutout innings for the Aggies to end the game. Munden picked up the win in the game, while Sorenson took the loss after coming in to relieve freshman hurler Haley Snyder.

With Stanford’s 4-3 win on Feb. 18, the Card and the Aggies split the season series 1-1. Stanford will now take on Minnesota and Santa Clara in the Louisville Slugger Classic this weekend in its last tune-up before conference play begins.

Contact Sandip Srinivas at sandips ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Sandip Srinivas '18 is the Football Editor, a sports desk editor and a beat writer for men's basketball and football at The Stanford Daily. Sandip is a sophomore from Belmont, California that roots for the San Francisco Giants during even years and roots for Steph Curry year-round. He is majoring in Symbolic Systems and can be contacted via email at sandips 'at' stanford.edu.