SAE loses housing suspension appeal, will remain on campus through spring

After considering an appeal filed by the fraternity, Stanford University upheld the suspension of on-campus housing privileges for Sigma Alpha Epsilon (SAE) during the next two academic years.

new.010515.sae
SAE lost its housing suspension appeal, the University said in a statement on Friday morning. (JOSEPH BEYDA/The Stanford Daily)

The fraternity can remain in its current house through spring quarter, the University said in a statement released Friday morning. The initial suspension had required that the fraternity members move out after winter quarter.

According to the case’s appeal officer, Vice Provost for Student Affairs Greg Boardman, “no grounds for overturning the findings of a sexual harassment investigation involving the fraternity” was found. However, Boardman also noted that a separate Organization Conduct Board review found the fraternity responsible for alcohol and hazing policy violations.

Although SAE will not have on-campus housing for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years, the fraternity can remain in its current house through spring quarter.

“The extension of time in the house is being provided in recognition of the disruptions involved in mid-year re-housing of all the fraternity’s members, the absence of misconduct complaints against the fraternity this academic year, and positive steps the fraternity is taking to demonstrate leadership as an organization,” according to the University statement.

During this housing extension, SAE will still be under an alcohol suspension as well as a social suspension that prohibits social events in the residence with guests.

SAE will be eligible to apply to re-occupy the current house starting in fall 2017 after completing certain steps, to be reviewed by University officials, that include the development of a plan for successful chapter and house management.

SAE declined to comment.

This post will be updated.

Contact Catherine Zaw at czaw13 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Catherine Zaw was formerly the Managing Editor of News for Vol. 245 and Vol. 246. To contact her, please email [email protected].