Lyons reportedly confirms Michigan transfer

Senior corner Wayne Lyons plans to transfer to Michigan for his fifth year of eligibility, Rivals reported on Tuesday.

Senior corner Wayne Lyons will be heading to Michigan for his fifth year of eligibility. (JIM SHORIN. SPO)
Senior corner Wayne Lyons will reportedly be heading to Michigan for his fifth year of eligibility. (JIM SHORIN/stanfordphoto.com)

Though speculation surrounding Lyons has been swirling for some time, he reportedly texted Rivals that “there is some truth to the rumors” and that he will take a visit to Ann Arbor.

There has yet to be an official confirmation from Lyons, Stanford or Michigan.

This is not the first time a member of the Stanford football program has been rumored to join Jim Harbaugh at Michigan since he was hired in late December. Just days after Harbaugh became the Wolverines’ head coach, it was widely reported that Director of Football Sports Performance Shannon Turley would rejoin him in Ann Arbor.

Those claims were later refuted, and Turley remains with the Cardinal. However, Lyons’ reported text message is a much more direct indication that he may be leaving the Farm than the Turley rumors were. Adding to the speculation, Michigan recently hired Lyons’ mother as its director of player development.

Contact Joey Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.