Stanford builds international communities through soccer

Stanford, in conjunction with the Sports for Social Change program, is hosting a talented group of young soccer coaches committed to social impact.

The Sports for Social Change program enables coaches to build communities of young people through soccer and hopes to combat human trafficking through the efforts. The coaches have worked in Cambodia and Vietnam and collaborate with Stanford students on their project.

Now these coaches have the opportunity to meet a broader portion of the Stanford community. Stanford students are hosting the coaches on campus this week, in an effort to recruit more students for the program. The Haas Center will send six students to work with the program in Southeast Asia this summer and is hosting an information session this evening.

This interaction between cultures is central to the program.

“By playing soccer and working together to teach little kids and learn about Vietnamese, Cambodian and American cultures, we have developed our team spirit,” said Hoa Tu Trieu, a coach from Vietnam.

Sports for Social Change has currently impacted 450 youths in Cambodia and Vietnam, and 13 Stanford students have served as coaches in the past. This year’s cohort will begin working in June.

Contact Michael Gioia at mgioia2 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Michael Gioia was Managing Editor of Opinions from Vol. 250-251; he also previously led the News division. He is from Plano, Texas and studied History and Modern Languages at Stanford. When Michael is not working for The Daily, he can generally be found reading or drinking coffee.