Police report: Brock Turner admits sexual contact, denies alleged rape

Trigger warning: This article discusses an alleged sexual assault in detail.

In a police report filed Jan. 28, Brock Turner admits to having sexual contact with the alleged victim but denies nonconsensual intercourse during the Jan. 18 incident that precipitated his arrest on suspicion of attempted rape.

Turner was a Stanford freshman and varsity swim team member at the time but has since voluntarily withdrawn his status as a Stanford student. He has since been charged with five felony counts: rape of an intoxicated person, rape of an unconscious person, assault with the intent to commit rape, sexual penetration of an intoxicated person and sexual penetration of an unconscious person. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday.

The police report indicates that, at the time of his arrest in the early morning of Jan. 18, Turner was under the influence of alcohol.

The alleged victim is not a Stanford student.

Turner was reportedly discovered on top of the alleged victim at about 12:55 a.m. by two male graduate students who were biking by. The students reported thinking “it was a mutual interaction at first” but noticed that the alleged victim was not moving and confronted Turner.

One of the graduate students stated that Turner got up and began to run away, and after briefly checking on the alleged victim, one of the graduate students chased after him. He said he caught up to Turner, tripped him and tackled him. The two graduate students — neither of whom knew Turner or the victim — held Turner down.

Police arrived on the scene a few minutes later and found the alleged victim lying behind a dumpster with her dress and bra disheveled and underwear on the ground nearby. She was “breathing but completely unresponsive.” An open can of beer was found laying nearby. Police took the alleged victim to the hospital, and she did not regain consciousness until approximately 4:15 a.m.

Another witness approached the officer and stated that there was a male being held down by two other witnesses approximately 75 feet away, saying to the officer that, “‘It was that guy who did it’.” Turner was detained and later arrested, and the officer noted that he “had a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emanating from his person.”

At 6:36 a.m. on Jan. 18, an officer administered Turner his Miranda Advisement. The officer reports that Turner verbally answered yes to all four of the questions and that, at that time, he believed Turner was not under the influence of alcohol.

In the statement, Turner stated that he met the alleged victim outside the the Kappa Alpha fraternity house after going to the house to attend a party. He stated that he and the alleged victim kissed, held hands while walking away from the house, then kissed on the ground.

Turner stated that that he took off the victim’s underwear, fingered her vagina and touched her breasts. He said that he never took his pants off, that his penis was never exposed and that he did not penetrate the alleged victim’s vagina with his penis.

He told the police officer that he started to feel unwell and got up to leave when he was tackled to the ground. The officer asked why he ran, and Turner denied running.

Turner reported that by the time of the incident, he had consumed approximately seven cans of beer and a couple of sips of whiskey. He reported being drunk but was able to provide his account of the events to the police.

In the report, he is quoted as stating that “his ‘intentions were not to try and rape a girl without her consent’.”

Turner was later transported to the San Jose Main Jail.

According to a statement given to police by the alleged victim the night of Jan. 18, the alleged victim was on campus with a friend. The alleged victim and her friends met at a party at KA.

One of the friends found a handle of vodka that, according of the police report, they believe was sealed at the time. The group of friends passed around the handle, and in the police report the alleged victim reported nothing unusual about its taste.

She reported being at KA for 20 to 30 minutes before leaving the house. Outside, she and her friends conversed with a group of three college-aged males. One of them gave her a beer can that the victim believes she opened herself.

After drinking the beer, the alleged victim reports not remembering anything else until waking up at the hospital.

On the alleged victim’s cell phone, call logs indicate that at 12:35 a.m. the night of Jan. 18 she made a 35-second phone call and a seven-second phone call. She does not remember making either call.

Later, at 12:53 a.m. and 12:57 a.m., the alleged victim received text messages asking where she was. At 1:16 a.m., a friend sent her a message asking where she was. At 1:16 a.m., someone else sent another text message to the victim, “saying, ‘I’m scared’.”

While at the hospital on Jan. 18, the alleged victim underwent a SART examination and interview. SART is an acronym for sexual assault and response team, and such an exam is commonly known as a rape-kit.

At about 12:50 p.m. on Jan. 18, the alleged victim verbally agreed to the government’s prosecution of the suspect. The police later booked the SART kit, the victim’s blood and the victim’s clothing into evidence.

This article has been updated throughout the day as more details have become available.

Contact Alice Phillips at aliecp1 ‘at’ stanford.edu and Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About Alice Phillips

Alice Phillips '15 is Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. Previously, she worked as the paper's Deputy Editor, Chief Copy Editor, a News Desk Editor and a News Staff Writer. Alice is a biology major from Los Angeles, California.

About Joseph Beyda

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.
  • Polterguest

Hopefully you don’t have any female relatives. Your mother must be so proud.

• farkennel

My mother is a horrid woman and her opinion is worthless,but thanks for the quasi-inquiry.As far as the women in my life who DO matter,they are ALL anti-feminists and therefore are well rounded human beings.

• Polterguest

So like I said, horribly damaged women with no self-esteem. Women who feel so poorly about themselves that they believe they are only worthy of a misogynist boy with fantasies of violence that he is too cowardly and lazy to act on. Yep, that’s about all an MRA can hope to find. I feel sorry for any daughters you might have in the future. They are surely looking at being molested into a future as shitty as their mother’s.

• farkennel

If my daughters grow up to be false rape accusers(and I have told them this) and the death penalty is brought in for this horrific crime,I will be happy to light the gas pill,insert the needle,pull the lever,or take the shot.

• Polterguest

So, no daughters. Just a lot of fantasy from your basement. Sugartits, you are hilarious.

• farkennel

Thank you princess,I`ve been thinking of hitting the comedy circuit. I`ll pass on your doubts to my daughters.

• Polterguest

If your daughters existed I’d say “please don’t, I wouldn’t want you to molest them again because you were near them.”

• farkennel

You must really hate females to say such a thing.But it`s to be expected,most feminazi apologists have a morbid fascination with incestuous rape.Perhaps you like it rough from your dad or uncle(please dont elaborate).Your true colours are finally coming to the fore princess….dont stop now.

• I live in Wisconsin. The difference between blackout wasted and walking around semi-functional is hyper thin.

• Henry Kelly

I once drank over 20 12 oz. cans of Coors beer at a race party and stayed on my feet. Just felt a little silly and tipsy but not staggering drunk. I was not then a regular drinker but did not understand how I could drink that much beer in only a few hours withott ut getting really snoggered and falling down. Never threw up or even felt nauseated. Another time only one quart of malt liquor and I woke up paralyzed and barely able to throw up over the edge of the bed. And one time I got vodka drunk at a friend’s trailer and was lying prone on the floor. Suddenly I said that I could get right up and did. The friends said from that point I appeared stone sober and spoke normally. I do not understand how alcohol, which is the same stuff in all alcoholic beverages, can cause such different reactions at different times.

• 1 thanks for the info it , we as human beings must respect each other and concrete examples in the online world is the best to exchange comments . may god bless ingsaalloh
    Obat miom
    obat asam lambung tradisional
    obat maag kronis

• I have passed out drunk with a guy on top of my cowboy style and what woke me up was him leaning into my face snoring.

• EVres

What’s the latest on Brock Turner? He appeared in court on Monday, but not one word about it.

• AnOski

Except the witnesses did not observe the events the purported assailant (and purported victim) describe as happening beforehand. You might as well blame a policeman for “brutality” after seeing him standing over someone he shot.

Backstory: the person pulled a gun on him and shot first.

It’s one thing to observe someone forcing himself or herself on an unwilling person. It’s something else entirely to observe an extremely drunk person doing things with another extremely drunk person who has just passed out.

You have zero context. The fact that the boy was too drunk to remember running only supports the idea that neither party was sober enough to consent to anything.

• AnOski

>This woman was UNCONSCIOUS.

She was also conscious earlier. And we don’t know what she said then.

What we do know is that, when found, it was clear that both parties had been conscious together for an extended period of time, and one of them had become unconscious. Since both parties were extremely inebriated, we really can’t presume what happened when / in what order before they were found.

Was it rape? IMHO, it’s probably more likely that things were equally consensual, because what kind of a rapist gets so drunk that he doesn’t know WTF he’s doing or where he is? Either the boy was a preposterously stupid criminal, or he was just really drunk.

It’s *innocent until proven guilty* in this country for a reason. Stop presuming guilt.

• AnOski

I…ok

• Vabila Laelani

yeah terima kasih telah berbagi pengetahuan by obat maag kronis dan akut tradisional

• Vabila Laelani

wow amazing terima kasih telah berbagi pengetahuan by obat maag kronis dan akut tradisional

• Vabila Laelani

kreen ya terima kasih telah berbagi pengetahuan by obat maag kronis dan akut tradisional

• Vabila Laelani
  • CMS

The benefit of the doubt stands because he hasn’t had his day in court yet. All the actual evidence has to be evaluated rigiorously to PROVE him guilty. So, the “Benefit of the doubt” is not such an unbelievable thing to grant ANYONE, its how the legal system WORKS, and for a reason. I’ll give the benefit of doubt to this 19 year old, all american, student athlete, who was otherwise known all his life as a great kid.

• CMS

How could two Bicyclists have been able to accurately tell, from far away, that she was “Unconscious”, when she was “behind a dumpster”, and whike he was “on top of her”.

I am a RN and we do an entire assessment, with multiple steps, before we can ever determine someone to truly be unconscious. We can’t ever tell that from far away, nor without interacting with our patients. This woman wasn’t determined to be “unconscious” until medical help arrived. In the meantime, all they really knew is that these two were doing some sexual act outside, while lying on the ground.

Just imagine if she never passed out, if it WAS consensual, and if she WAS awake and enjoying it when the bicyclists caught them, they STILL would have been shocked to catch someone in the act, and both of them would have probably stood up and ran away together, being embarrassed they were caught. I dont think public sex outdoor is a normal behavior, is it?

Maybe only when he stood up he realized that she was passed out and minutes earlier she was awake and participating. Then at that poimt the bicyclists saw she didnt stand up with him, so they accused him of rape and he ran. This is also very possible. Perspective taking is important, this is not being an apologist, its using reason.

The story blasted everywhere is telling it as if this kid found her, some random woman who doesn’t even go to the school, lying on the ground unconscious behind a dumpster, and instead of helping her he started stripping her clothes off, molesting her, and raping her. I find this absurdly unlikely given his background and testimony of his character.

I also read that she said she supposedly left the frat house, not with him, but along with her sister. I’m curious, why did her sister leave her there, passed out on the ground, alone and unconscious?

Where is the statement from her sister? Just wondering.

If he DID do such a heinous act, then sentence him, to the fullest. BUT, if this 19 year old young man, who was a good kid, was drunking alomg with a pretty girl and they fooled around, him NEVER intending to harm her, I think DESTROYING HIS ENTIRE LIFE is rather unnecessary.

• CMS

But, if she can’t give valid consent while intoxicated, how can we determine that he was suspossed to KNOW that her intoxicated verbal consent was NOT VALID while HE was ALSO, VERY intoxicated.

• CMS

Um…. Do partying college teens usually announce their sexual consent over a loud speaker before doing the act? Maybe they weren’t kissing or touching inside the party, and walked outside to get some privacy? Thats not abnormal.

• CMS

Yes, and They were also caught in the act fooling around. He might not have wanted to be caught having sex outside, being a star athlete and all. Thats enough to get up and run away! Doesn’t mean he knew she passed out and he was suddenly raping, when moments before it may have been consentual.

• CMS

Apparently having sex with a drunk woman is NEVER A GOOD IDEA, even if its mutual and if she is begging and pleading with you.
    Shit, even if its a girlfriend, or even a wife. If she passes out half way through, you instantly become a rapist.

• CMS

So, no more drunken sex for anyone? And we have reversed sexual freedoms!

• CMS

If a husband and wife are both drunk and get caught happily having sex with each-other by a third party, can the third party now call 911 and have them both arrested them for having non-consentual, married, sex, while they were drunk?

Wtf

• CMS

But, she may have been CONSCIOUS and consenting moments earlier. Are men required to assess womens level of consciousness every minute or so while they are in the middle of performing sexual acts ?

• CMS

He might have stood and ran just from the surprise of being caught in a sexual act, period. He might have been surprised she didnt stand and run with him when the bikers showed up.

• CMS

Ive done a few things when I was drunk that I can’t remember. Many of them were remembered well by my friends, who most often didn’t even realize how drunk I was. The fact that she doesn’t remember NOW, was not available information to him at the time. It doesn’t prove anything

• CMS

If they were behind a dumpster, how could the two witnesses know, from so far away, that she was unconscious?

• CMS

REALLY!! Wow. In that case, I have been raped quite a bit! Throughout my last seven year relationship, we were drunk of half of the time we had sex.

• CMS

Or he stood and ran because he was caught having sex outside on campus.
    Thats enough to be CAUGHT doing to make someone panic and run. Doesn’t mean he ran because he was “caught raping someone”. He might have thought she was going to get up and run too!

• CMS

Someone should make-up a little pocket sized pad and pen set, the pad filled with miniature legal consent forms, so that guys can make women sign and date their sexual consent and initial a box next to a “removal of all liability for rape” discloser statement. Even check box stating what specifically they will consent to do. Maybe even put the time frame and duration the consent is valid. That way they will have documentarion and women can be held liable for their sexual decisions and drunken promiscuous behavior. And can’t claim they were raped even if they were so drunk that they pass out half way through it. Hey, it might kill the moment and all the romance and excitement involved, but at least men won’t have to worry about going to prison and have their lives ruined for the irresponsible behavior and day-after regrets and convienient amnesia of these young women.

Shit, if no one invents this in the next few years, I am going to make one myself before my own son goes to college. This feminist shit is off the damn radar.

• CMS

In the meantime, I think it would be WISE for ALL COLLEGE men to use their smart phones and get an audio recording of a women consenting, before they do anything. Just turn the voice recorder on, and keep the phone in your front pocket or close enough to record her voice, whenever in a sitiation you think might be heading in this direction.

And….Ladies…..

KNOW YOUR DAMN LIMITS WITH ALCOHOL,
    DONT DRINK SO MUCH.
    LEARN how to SAY NO,
    (EVEN IF YOU LIKE HIM)

or DON’T GO OUT DRINKING AROUND ANY CUTE BOYS WHO YOU MIGHT BE TEMPTED TO FLIRT WITH.

You are simply NOT all innocent victims.