Men’s gymnastics comes up just short in its upset bid against top-ranked Sooners

No. 2 Stanford men’s gymnastics came within three points of upsetting No. 1 Oklahoma on Saturday, eventually finishing second in a four-team meet at Burnham Pavilion.

Fifth year senior Sean Senters (center)
Fifth year senior Sean Senters (center) tied for the highest vault score in a four team meet last Saturday. (NATHAN STAFFA/The Stanford Daily)

The Cardinal lost ground to the Sooners on the rings, and sophomore Akash Modi’s meet-best 90.150 in the all-around wasn’t enough for Stanford in the 440.550-437.550 defeat.

Fifth-year senior Sean Senters tied Oklahoma’s Josh Yee for the best vault score of the afternoon (15.400), building on individual victories in the event each of the previous two weeks. Stanford also posted the two top scores in the parallel bars: Modi’s 15.450 and senior Brian Knott’s 15.300.

No. 6 Cal placed third with a score of 423.550, while No. 10 Nebraska came in last with 418.050.

The Cardinal have two weeks off before their next competition, a dual meet at Michigan on Feb. 7. The No. 5 Wolverines have won two consecutive national titles and are coming off a 444.700-436.350 loss at No. 4 Penn State on Saturday.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.