Problem at Stanford Cogeneration Plant resolved

A problem at the Stanford Cogeneration Plant was resolved Monday afternoon, hours after the disruption threatened campus heating and hot water access. The problem at the plant, which was reported to the public at about 11:20 a.m., led Residential & Dining Enterprises to offer students space heaters via use of the “fix-it” request system.

Students were informed around 3:45 p.m. that the problem with the Cogeneration Plant was resolved, though they were warned that it may take a few hours for heating systems to return to normal.

The Stanford Cogeneration Plant is a facility that supplies power and steam to produce heat and cooling for the Stanford campus. Power on campus was not disrupted during the problem with the Cogeneration Plant.

According to the Stanford News Service, the Cogeneration Plant suffered a problem on Aug. 17, 2012 that led to reduced steam output. The problem in 2012 did not lead to a loss of power and there were no initial reports that the incidents were connected.

The Cogeneration Plant runs on natural gas and was commissioned in 1987.

A representative of Land, Buildings, and Real Estate did not respond to a call for comment by press time.

Contact Caleb Smith at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu

Caleb Smith '17 is a Desk Editor from Oakland, California and is majoring in public policy. Outside the Daily, Caleb is Director of news at KZSU Stanford, the campus radio station. Have a tip or suggestion? Please contact him at caleb17 ‘at’ stanford.edu.