743 early applicants accepted to Stanford’s Class of 2019, 562 deferred

Dec. 12, 2014, 3:57 p.m.

Earlier today, 743 members of the Class of 2019 received their acceptance letters from Stanford through the restrictive early action program. Stanford had 7,297 early applicants this year, the most in university history. An additional 562 applicants were deferred to the regular admission program.

The acceptance rate of 10.2 percent was slightly lower than the Class of 2018’s early admission rate of 10.8 percent — last year, 6,948 students applied early admission and 748 were accepted.

“We have admitted a remarkable group of students from an extremely talented applicant pool,” said Richard H. Shaw, dean of undergraduate admission and financial aid. “Our review was rigorous, and we are pleased to celebrate those who were accepted.”

According to a release from the Stanford News Service, the 743 students who received acceptance letters come from 47 states and 31 countries. More than 75 percent of them have a high school grade point average of 4.0 or above.

“We are humbled by the many competitive candidates who demonstrated interest in Stanford University through our restrictive early action program,” Shaw said. “We recognize the time and effort that goes into completing our application, and we are honored to have reviewed the applications of so many outstanding young people.”

More than 30,000 students are expected to apply under the regular decision program, which is where a majority of the Class of 2019 will be accepted.

Contact Jana Persky at jpersky ‘at’ stanford.edu.

This post was updated on Jan. 4, 2015, to include the number of students who were deferred. 

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email [email protected].