Football predictions: Stanford vs. UCLA

Stanford (6-5, 4-4 Pac-12) at No. 8 UCLA (9-2, 6-2)

Do-Hyoung Park: Stanford 24, UCLA 20

A reasonable person would pick UCLA in this game. Unfortunately, I am not a reasonable person. Even without Ty Montgomery, I think Stanford is the more talented team on the field on Friday and even though the team has had its shares of ups and downs throughout the season, UCLA has been the least-convincing two-loss team in the country featuring uncomfortably close wins over frightening powerhouses like Virginia, Memphis, Cal and Colorado. (This isn’t basketball, ya know.) I don’t see Brett Hundley and the UCLA running game getting anything going on Stanford’s frightening defense and I think Stanford’s offense can move the ball as long as it doesn’t try to run the ball too much on that defensive line (okay, given that we’re talking about Stanford, this might be too much to ask for). But a man can hope, right?

Ashley Westhem: UCLA 31, Stanford 24

With the loss of Ty Montgomery, coupled with having to play at the Rose Bowl, this is going to be a hard game for the Cardinal to win. However, Remound Wright provided a huge spark against Cal showing the potential for the Cardinal’s running game and Big Game surely revitalized the offense. Yet on the other hand, the Card have to play a UCLA team that has just come off of a stomping of USC on the same field on which it will be taking on the Card. The Bruins have the added motivation of needing to redeem themselves after being stripped of the Pac-12 title at the hands of the Card two years ago and losing six straight to them within five years (UCLA has not beaten Stanford since 2008). The Bruins will be out for blood and although the game will be close, the Bruins will get the best of the Card.

Vihan Lakshman: UCLA 24, Stanford 14

I disagree with Do’s assessment of UCLA’s “sketchy” running game. The Bruins rank 30th in the nation with 208.5 yards per game on the ground and feature one of the best running backs in the country in Paul Perkins, who has already amassed over 1,200 yards on the ground. Couple that potent ground attack with a top-notch quarterback in Brett Hundley and you have an offense that’s capable of exploding at any given moment. The Bruins have already put up 62 points on an elite Arizona State squad this season and just finished sending USC into a minor existential crisis with a 38-20 thrashing. While Stanford’s defense is incredibly stout, the Cardinal’s struggling offense will give UCLA additional chances to strike and the Bruins have too much talent not to take advantage. Stanford’s offense will put up points early behind some creative scripted plays — like we saw against Utah — but I don’t expect its season-long struggles with consistency to suddenly disappear. UCLA takes this one behind a couple of late touchdowns to march on to a colossal showdown with Oregon in the Pac-12 Championship.

Do-Hyoung Park isn’t always a homer — but when he is, he goes all the way with his prediction. Ashley Westhem and Vihan Lakshman sadly seem to be suffering from a lack of faith. Share your opinions with them at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu, awesthem ‘at’ stanford.edu and vihan ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.