Card pick up two more victories, continue impressive start

No. 5 Stanford (12-1, 2-0 Norpac) continued its impressive win streak this weekend with wins over Pacific (4-7, 1-1 Norpac) and UC Davis (3-8, 0-2).

On Friday, the Cardinal dominated most of the game’s minutes against the Pacific Tigers but required a late equalizer and 4:49 of overtime in order to secure the victory.  Even while having to contend with Pacific’s strategically stacked defensive core, Stanford still managed to emerge with 21 shots for the game, with 11 penalty corners, leading to a 1-0 lead for the entire first half thanks to a booming reverse shot by sophomore midfielder Fran Tew.

d
Alex McCawley (left) scored two goals in the victory over UC Davis (NATHAN STAFFA/STANFORD DAILY)

While Stanford continued to generate offense using countless through passes, a few defensive lapses led to a 2-1 deficit after 2 goals by Pacific’s Nicole Laskosky. However, Stanford continued exerting pressure, and in the 60th minute it paid off with a penalty corner. Stanford’s penalty corners had been largely ineffective throughout the game, but senior defenseman Kelsey Harbin proved up to the task. Drilling a shot low and hard into the far right corner, she tied the game 2-2, assisted by senior attacker Elise Ogle and junior midfielder Maddie Secco.

Even though Stanford generated substantial pressure, they were unable to find the go-ahead goal and the game went into an overtime period. Early in overtime, junior goalkeeper Dulcie Davies made a key reflex save with her left hand to keep the game tied. Stanford then went on the offensive. Senior midfielder Alex McCawley slid a pass junior attacker Maddy Becker who proceeded to drill a shot into the right-side netting and securing the 3-2 victory for Stanford.

Hoping to continue its strong play, Stanford took on the UC-Davis Aggies on the road on Sunday. The Cardinal were offensively strong from the beginning and junior defenseman Jessica Chisholm scored a quick goal off a penalty corner for a one-goal lead. An equalizer by the Aggies’s sophomore forward Agustina Singh briefly tied the game, before Stanford turned up their game to another level.  Harbin and McCawley managed to score three more goals before the end of the first half, giving Stanford a 4-1 lead. Fran Tew added one more for good measure in the second half, leading Stanford to a decisive 5-1 victory in Davis.

Stanford looks to extend its six-game winning streak on Friday, Oct. 10 against Northwestern University in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Contact Amanda McLean at ammclean ‘at’ stanford.edu.