Cardinal dominate Huskies in 4-1 beating

Another game, another historic milestone for the Stanford women’s soccer team on Friday night, as they notched a 4-1 against the Washington Huskies at home. Sophomore striker Ryan Walker-Hartshorn of Oakland, CA became the first women’s player to capture two hat tricks in a single season in over two decades and just the third player in Stanford history. Lo’eau Labonta added the fourth goal in truly spectacular fashion at the end of the 61st minute to seal the victory over the Huskies at Cagan Stadium.

(ERIN ASHBY/The Stanford Daily)
Senior midfielder Lo’eau LaBonta scored the final goal for the Card in their 4-1 win over the Huskies on Friday. (ERIN ASHBY/The Stanford Daily)

The victory was perhaps the most impressive offensive showing by the Cardinal thus far, and Ryan’s hat trick was earned in every sense of the word. From the opening whistle, it became apparent that the team sought to atone for what they surely felt was a disappointing draw against Utah, the Cardinal were dominant in all phases of the game for the better part of 90 minutes. From the very start the Cardinal played visibly focused and with intensity.

Sophomore defender Maddie Bauer gave herself up to launch a daring tackle to stop one of the rare Washington movements into the attacking third, taking a painful looking knock in the process. Minutes later, LaBonta launched a missile of a strike from 40 yards away from goal to force diving parry by UW keeper Megan Kufeld. That seemed to set the tone for the game or rather, foreshadow the brilliant play that would follow. Senior Forward Chioma Ubogagu turned in another excellent performance supplying the assist on two of Walker-Hartshorn’s goals. Both Sophomore winger Megan Turner and Ubogagu were dynamic in the constant Cardinal attack.

Everyone in a Cardinal uniform contributed to the complete game. Head coach Paul Ratcliffe had this to say on his team’s performance:

“I think defensively we played really well, there was…only the one [goal conceded that] came against the run of play. We scored four really incredible goals tonight.”

The loan goal was indeed against the run of play and made even less impressive by the goal itself; as the Cardinal center backs convened on the unsupported run of Washington forward Kimberly Keever. Sophomore goal keeper Jane Campbell charged forward to take the ball from her feet. As Cambell dropped on the ball the three outfield players scrambled to get a foot to it. The ball careened down and trickled through, seemingly taking both UW forward Kimberly Keever and Stanford’s defenders by surprise. Washington’s Keever recovered the quickest however and strode forward to tap the ball in to make it 3-1 and just the second goal conceded of the season.

The Cardinal dominated both sides of the ball, but showcased their offensive firepower in particular. It was a night that belonged to Walker-Hartshorn who was twice able to expertly touch down two Ubogagu crosses and fire the ball into the side netting. What’s more, she needed just under 47 minutes to do so, and might have had more if it weren’t for a couple of impressive saves by Washington’s keeper. It’s fitting that Walker-Hartshorn only needed just over a half for her hat trick, she has needed only 11 games to net two on the season. With over half the season remaining, Walker-Hartshorn has the chance to continue her historic season.

“I feel honored,” said Walker-Hartshorn when asked about her record. “But it’s nothing without my team setting me up. Those goals weren’t hard to score…it’s because we had such great movement…We’ve worked a lot. Like a lot, a lot…I think it’s showing in the game.”

It certainly showed on Friday night and the icing on the cake was LaBonta’s scintillating cutter from about seven yards out of the top of the box. After a charging run, Labonta launched from the top-left side in stride and sent a slicing shot at pace that swerved into the top corner. A fitting end to, as Ratcliffe said, “a great effort overall.”

The Cardinal took on WSU on Sunday and will travel to L.A. to play the UCLA Bruin’s on Thursday, October 9th at 8 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.

Contact Nic Radoff at nradoff ‘at’ stanford.edu. 

Nic Radoff '15 is now officially from Oakland and is a proud to be a history major and a Latin-American studies minor. Nic was a staff writer for women's soccer and follows football extensively, whether his editors let him write about it or not. He is a proud member of the men's club lacrosse team and invites you all to come watch most Saturdays, even though you might not see him on the field much. He enjoys spending time with his family, hiking with his husky Artoo, lamenting his A's and maintaining that things get better with age.