Women’s soccer looks to ride hot start into matchup with Utes

The Cardinal women’s soccer team has got to be feeling pretty good about itself right now heading into the start of conference play. Undefeated and still unscored on throughout the season, No. 4 Stanford (8-0-1) is riding the tide of its second consecutive undefeated nonconference season; the Card even received a first-place vote in the latest NSCAA Coaches’ Poll to boot.

Ryan Walker-Harthorn (center) has notched a team-leading five goals during Stanford's unbeaten start. She has also posted an incredible .357 shot percentage in non-conference play.
Ryan Walker-Harthorn (center) has notched a team-leading five goals during Stanford’s unbeaten start. She has also posted an incredible .357 shot percentage in non-conference play.

But if there is any team that is looking to rain on Stanford’s parade and keep its own streaks rolling, it is Utah (7-0-2), which will hope to extend its own undefeated start to the season and avoid losing at home for the first time in 18 tries.

Unlike Stanford, however, which faced five nationally ranked teams as part of its nonconference schedule — including three teams in the top 15 — the Utes have not faced any as part of a significantly weaker schedule in which Stanford will be their first true challenge.

“We’re used to playing a high level of opponent — the same as you’ll encounter in the Pac-12 — so hopefully that’s prepared us,” said head coach Paul Ratcliffe. “We’re hardened to it and we’re excited to get rolling.”

And indeed, that high level of opponent has made Stanford’s defensive streak all the more impressive through the start of the season. However, Utah also brings to the table a defense that stood out during nonconference play, having allowed only three goals through its nine games.

For a Stanford offense that has often started games slowly through the start of the season and will be opening its conference play at altitude, coming out of the gate strongly will be of the utmost importance.

“We just have to start with high energy at the beginning of the game,” Ratcliffe said. “I want to start faster. That’s something we just spoke about with the team. Hopefully we’ll start fast in Utah. We’ll have to, because they’re a good opponent.”

Just how good? Well, Stanford is the last team to have beaten the Utes in regulation back on Oct. 18 of last season, just one game before Utah took the eventual national champion UCLA Bruins to a draw. It also took an overtime for No. 13 Texas A&M to dispatch the Utes in the first round of the NCAA tournament last season, showing that Utah might not be nationally ranked, but it can play with any team in the country.

The Cardinal, meanwhile, will be looking to start their conference season strong, especially after they got off to an identical 8-0-1 start last season, but suffered tough early non-conference losses that led to a disappointing trek through the Pac-12 schedule.

Stanford has again gotten contributions from all across the board, with nine Cardinal players already having scored at least one goal apiece. The Card are led by sophomore forward Ryan Walker-Hartshorn, who earned a spot in the starting lineup following a strong freshman campaign; she is leading the team with five goals so far this season.

But the story of this team has truly been the defense — as evidenced by sophomore Stephanie Amack and fifth-year senior Kendall Romine’s back-to-back Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week awards — and Stanford’s stalwarts in goal have benefited from it.

Sophomore Jane Campbell, who has played 751:47 in the net this season, leads the nation with a .000 goals-against average, and has only had to notch 20 saves through the nine games so far this season due to the strong play and pursuit of the back line. She will be looking to pitch her second shutout against the Utes in a row.

Utah will be led on the pitch by senior midfielder Katie Taylor, who is leading the team in points for the third consecutive season. She has already scored three goals to go along with four assists. Senior midfielder Avery Jenkins has also impressed early in the season, setting up her teammates to the tune of four assists, while also finishing one goal herself.

In addition, senior goalkeeper Lindsey Luke has played every minute in goal so far this season for the Utes, and is currently ninth in the nation in goals-against average with a .317 mark. Stanford has been working on its offensive consistency, however, and will be seeking to knock Luke out of the top 10 with a strong offensive effort.

“[We’ve been working on] repetition of crossing and finishing, and combination play in the final third,” Ratcliffe said. “I just think playing away from home is difficult. Other than that, it’s just business as usual. We’ve got to get after it, and not get caught up with altitude or anything else. It’s just a matter of… everyone’s got to make a contribution and play to the best of their ability.”

Stanford and Utah will square off starting at 2 p.m. today in Salt Lake City to open Pac-12 play. The match will be televised on the Pac-12 Networks.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.