Practice notes: Ears are primed for Husky Stadium

The Cardinal are really taking this “noise” thing to heart.

On Wednesday, the team practiced on the turf section of the Elliott Practice Fields due to the turf section’s closer proximity to the speakers that have been emulating the vast sound levels that the team will encounter on the road at Husky Stadium on Saturday.

True freshman cornnerback Terrence Alexander (11)
True freshman cornerback Terrence Alexander (11) has become a valuable practice player over the last several weeks, with his strong efforts earning him Scout Team Player of the Week. (SHIRLEY PEFFLEY/stanfordphoto.com)

“We did it today just because it’s louder in there,” Shaw said. “It was our short-yardage, goal-line and third down, so we figured there’s going to be a lot of noise so we went inside today. We’ll go back outside tomorrow.”

But according to Shaw, the team has been using music and not just crowd noise because the goal of the sound is just to make it difficult for the team to communicate. In addition, Shaw notes that the use of music often adds energy to the practices, especially based on the personal tastes of the players.

Pump-up music isn’t all, though — the Cardinal were at one point blasting the University of Washington’s fight song at Tuesday night’s practice, and of course, there’s the emulation of the Spirit of Troy before the annual match ups against USC.

“Before we play USC, we play [Tribute to Troy] at least 50 times a day,” Shaw said jokingly. “You can hear it pretty much anywhere around here.”

After noting at his press conference on Tuesday that fifth-year senior linebacker Joe Hemschoot was questionable for the game against Washington, Shaw confirmed after practice that Hemschoot would almost certainly be held out. In addition, senior cornerback Ra’Chard Pippens will sit out the Washington game with a leg injury. Both are expected to return for the Oct. 4 matchup against Notre Dame.

Finally, Shaw has been very impressed by the performance of his true freshmen this season, including defensive ends Solomon Thomas and Harrison Phillips, who will likely redshirt this season but have been practicing hard.

Shaw also noted that cornerback Terrence Alexander and free safety Brandon Simmons have also been impressive, with both having earned Scout Team Player of the Week honors in the past few weeks.

Contact Do-Hyoung Park at dpark027 ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Do-Hyoung Park '16, M.S. '17 is the Minnesota Twins beat reporter at MLB.com, having somehow ensured that his endless hours sunk into The Daily became a shockingly viable career. He was previously the Chief Operating Officer and Business Manager at The Stanford Daily for FY17-18. He also covered Stanford football and baseball for five seasons as a student and served two terms as sports editor and four terms on the copy desk. He was also a color commentator for KZSU 90.1 FM's football broadcast team for the 2015-16 Rose Bowl season.