Twenty-four hour study room opens in Lathrop Library

The 24-hour study room in the new Lathrop Library opened on Tuesday, more than a week after the opening of the renovated building located next to Memorial Auditorium.

The Lathrop Library will replace the services of Meyer Library, which is scheduled for demolition in summer 2015.

The new 24-hour room is both spacious and colorful, with computers and large tables available for students’ use. Brandon Ewonus ’14, a co-term in math and computer science, was one of the first people on Tuesday to explore the facility.

Ewonus said that he liked the modern design and the fact that the room was still a secret. He added that he hadn’t liked Meyer’s 24-hour study space as it felt outdated.

“I will probably be spending a lot of time here,” Ewonus said of the new site.

Students exploring other sections of the library also had a very positive review of the building as a whole.

Brice Klein ’16, who works at the library’s Tech Desk, said that the building is very similar to Meyer but much cleaner and better designed.

On Wednesday, the new library will feature a lecture by John Collins, the Guinness World Record Holder for Farthest Flight by Paper Aircraft, who will discuss the aerodynamics of paper airplanes from 7-8 p.m. in the library’s Bishop Auditorium.

Students may also register online at lathrop.stanford.edu to compete in a paper airplane contest to be held in the library’s Tech Lounge and lobby areas on Saturday from 2-4 p.m.