The Top 5 ice cream shops in Palo Alto

Aug. 19, 2014, 12:01 a.m.

As the weather begins to cool down, say goodbye to summer with the best sweet treat around. Here are the best ice cream places in Palo Alto!

(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)
(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)

CREAM –  440 University Ave., Palo Alto, CA

Since its opening in June 2013, CREAM has maintained its large fan following. For the first few months, it was impossible to get an ice cream sandwich without waiting for at least 30 minutes. Even though the hype has now died down, the high-quality cookies and ice cream still remain. Choose from 17 different cookie flavors (including gluten-free and vegan options) and 20 different ice cream flavors to create the best ice cream sandwich you’ve eaten. A traditional, two-cookie ice cream sandwich comes to about $3. Its menu also includes floats and milkshakes. CREAM provides a delicious and creative way to eat your favorite cookies and ice cream, and overall, lives up to the hype.

(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)
(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)

Tin Pot Creamery – 855 El Camino Real #121, Palo Alto, CA

Tin Pot Creamery, located in Town and Country Village, provides high-quality ice cream. Some of their flavors include salted butterscotch, malted milk with milk chocolate pieces and Earl Grey tea. Its menu includes two vegan options as well. Tin Pot’s ice cream is reputed to be on the creamier side. A single scoop comes to about $3.50.

(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)
(FRANCES GUO/Stanford Daily)

Scoop Microcreamery- 203 University Ave., Palo Alto, CA

Scoop Microcreamery offers ice cream made with liquid nitrogen. Its location is prime: right across from Pizza My Heart on University Ave. It provides interesting and unusual flavors such as avocado, chili mango, and a customer favorite, bourbon vanilla. Its prices begin at about $4.95 for one scoop.

Palo Alto Creamery- 566 Emerson St., Palo Alto, CA

This classic diner offers some of the best milkshakes and ice cream around. It offers 20 different classic flavors and provides creamy, rich ice cream. Apart from its milkshakes and ice cream, it has a large selection of diner food. Its milkshakes start at $6.95 (for a sizable portion) and its ice cream begins at $3.50.

Rick’s Ice Cream – 3946 Middlefield Rd., Palo Alto, CA

Rick’s Ice Cream is a small ice cream parlor with high-quality ice cream. It provides creamy and rich ice cream, with 48 classic and newer flavors. Some of its flavors include saffron pistachio, mint cookie (with Thin Mints in them!) and computer chip (chocolate chip ice cream infused with orange). It also bakes brownies, cakes, whoopie pies and ice-cream cakes. Its scoops start at $3.