Members of student-faculty sexual assault task force announced

Provost John Etchemendy '82 initially announced the convening of a student-faculty task force addressing sexual assault at Stanford during the June 12 Faculty Senate meeting.

Provost John Etchemendy ’82 initially announced the convening of a student-faculty task force addressing sexual assault at Stanford during the June 12 Faculty Senate meeting.

In response to recent criticism towards the handling of sexual assault cases, a task force comprised of students and faculty had been created in order to reevaluate the University’s efforts to prevent and respond to sexual assault and to foster a safer and more respectful campus community.

Headed by Stanford Law School Dean M. Elizabeth Magill and ASSU President Elizabeth Woodson ’15, the Task Force on Sexual Assault Policies and Practices will begin reviewing Stanford’s response to sexual assault through three different areas: prevention, support and delegation.

The task force will then inform the community about certain suggestions that should be made in order to improve Stanford’s approach to these cases.

The task force expects to receive a diverse range of input. Within the committee, there is representation from both undergraduate and graduate students, and all members have held a leadership role or some commitment to student policies and/or disciplinary action.

Additionally, the committee plans on not only listening to the Stanford community but will also be open to suggestions made from those outside the University.

“The committee is broadly representative of the entire campus community and we’re really confident that the committee members will solicit feedback from everybody who has an interest in this issue,” said Lisa Lapin, University spokeswoman.

While many see the formation of the student-faculty task force as a promising step towards creating a safer campus environment, there are some doubts as to whether the committee can effectively help the campus.

Recently, a post made on the “Stand With Leah” Facebook page expressed concerns about the selection of the committee. While the committee holds many well-qualified individuals, none of the faculty or students involved with the “Stand With Leah” movement were given a spot.

Besides Woodson and Magill, the remaining members are:

• Bryce Anzelmo, a second-year Ph.D. student in energy resources engineering and co-chair of the 2013-14 Graduate Student Council
  • Russell Berman, the Walter A. Haas Professor in Humanities, senior fellow at the Hoover Institution and 2014-15 chair of the Faculty Senate
  • Nate Boswell, associate dean of Residential Education (ResEd) and liaison to the Row and fraternity and sorority organizations
  • Shelley Correll ’96 Ph.D. ’01, professor of sociology and the Barbara D. Finberg Director of the Clayman Institute for Gender Research at Stanford
  • Catherine Criswell, Title IX coordinator at Stanford
  • Jackie Fielder ’16, undergraduate in public policy and president of the Inter-Sorority Council
  • Kelsey Finch ’08, undergraduate alumna in urban studies
  • Adam Horowitz M.A. ’10, Ph.D. ’15, graduate student in sociology and member of the Board on Judicial Affairs
  • Faith Kazmi, associate dean of Student Affairs and director of the Women’s Community Center at Stanford
  • Benjy Mercer-Golden ’15, undergraduate student in history and member of the 2014-15 ASSU executive cabinet
  • Lauren Schoenthaler, senior University counsel at the Office of the General Counsel
  • Marcia Stefanick Ph.D. ’82, P.D. ’84, professor of medicine at the Stanford Prevention Research Center and co-director of the Stanford Center for Health Research on Women & Sex Differences in Medicine
  • Robert Weisberg J.D. ’79, the Edwin E. Huddleson, Jr. Professor of Law and faculty co-director of the Stanford Criminal Justice Center
  • Laura Wilson ’91, Stanford chief of police and director of the Department of Public Safety
  • Laraine Zappert, clinical professor of psychiatry and behavioral science and director of the Sexual Harassment Policy Office at Stanford

This post will be updated.

Contact Katrina Manrique at 15manriquek ‘at’ gmail ‘dot’ com.

• UG

We should note that Elizabeth herself has been very involved in hearing the concerns of the Stand with Leah campaign. I have no doubt that she will accurately represent those concerns and voices of the student body.

• Brianne Huntsman

While we’re glad that Elizabeth Woodson has met with the #StandWithLeah organizers, her role is in ASSU. It is absolutely appalling that Leah (the person who focred Stanford to create the Task Force, in response to a public outcry) is not on the Task Force, nor is Professor Michele Dauber, who survivors still seek out-because they don’t trust the administration to help them.

• leah

Leah is a feminist extremist who set up her boyfriend because of other issues. Thanks god she’s not in power.

• Really?

Any male undergraduates going to be on this list?

• Malena

Hopefully yes. Otherwise it would be a very biased unbalanced “board”. Hopefully someone takes “gender equality” more seriously.

• Malena

Why would LEAH be on the Task Force? She’s not an example model of anti-sexism.

There’s two extremes to sexism. Leah is one of them.

She is saying women should not be held accountable of their actions simply due to their gender. She’s saying even if a woman meets her boyfriend who she always has sex with, gets naked with him in bed, and has sex, if none of them speak a word, then the man can go to jail if the woman decides so.
    That is sexism. Differentiating based on gender.

Gender roles exist in society and NATURE. Just because women assume the passive role to avoid responsibility for their actions (example: being unclear about what they want, and expecting the male to take initiative), their gender roles should not shield them from responsibility.