Dwight Powell on SportsCenter now as the "other piece" of the Rondo trade: 2 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
ICYMI, Dwight Powell was traded from the Celtics to the Mavs as part of the Rajon Rondo deal yesterday.: 10 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @StanfordWVB: Final: @PennStateVBALL 3, @StanfordWVB 1 Cardinal ends the season 33-2, tying for the most wins in program history. #gosta: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal within one after block from Bugg and Ajanaku. A hush over the crowd in OKC as it's 20-19 PSU in the fourth, up two sets to one.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
It's getting late quickly for the Card. PSU up 18-15 in the fourth set. Another Dunning timeout, this one the most important of the year.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
PSU with three straight points to even the fourth set at 13. Timeout Stanford.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Cardinal up 10-7 in the fourth set. Down two sets to one.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Stanford has been down 2-1 three times this season, and it has a 2-1 record in those matches. (W @ Illinois, W @ Colorado, L @ Washington): 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
Card closed to within one point on three occasions towards the end of the 3rd, but couldn't pull it out. PSU wins it 25-22, takes 2-1 lead.: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport
RT @jwallach12: Neither team has been able to get in a rhythm since the beginning of the first set. It's a dogfight out there. Exactly what…: 21 hours ago, Stanford Daily Sport

Stanford’s softball star pitcher Carley Hoover transfers to LSU

Carley Hoover

Carley Hoover (above) decided to transfer from Stanford to LSU to continue her softball career. Hoover, the 2013 High School Gatorade Player of the Year, suffered a season-ending pectoral injury only eight games into her freshman season. Hoover finished the 2014 season with a 2-0 record and a 1.65 ERA. (KAREN AMBROSE HICKEY/StanfordPhoto.com)

Daily News sports reporter John Reid has reported that rising sophomore Carley Hoover is transferring to LSU to continue her softball career. Reid tweeted that Hoover had made the announcement on Twitter, with Hoover also announcing her intentions to transfer on Facebook and Instagram.

The loss of Hoover is certainly a significant blow to the Cardinal softball program, as Hoover was the 2013 Gatorade Player of the Year as a high school senior at D.W. Daniel High. Hoover was a huge pick up for the Cardinal program when she signed with Stanford, as the Clemson, South Carolina native was rated as the No. 1 softball recruit in the country in many recruiting polls. Hoover had a 0.15 ERA as a senior in high school with a 16-4 record in 138 innings; the 2012 and 2013 Max-Preps All-American also hit .500 with 28 homers in her high school senior season.

However, in her first year on the Farm, Hoover had an adversity-filled season. After going 2-0 at the season-opening Kajikawa Classic in Tempe, Arizona, Hoover exited her only home start on the Farm after pitching only 2.0 innings in a 7-3 win over Bradley. Hoover would miss the rest of the season with what ESPN broadcaster Jessica Mendoza called a pectoral injury.

The Cardinal pitching staff suffered mightily without Hoover, as fellow freshman Madi Schreyer and a rotation of position players would have to hold the pitching staff together for the rest of the season. As a result, after starting the year 13-0, the Card faded in conference play as the depleted pitching staff wore down; Stanford would finish with a 5-19 record in Pac-12 play and missed the postseason for the first time since 1997.

Hoover joins an LSU squad that had a strong 2014 campaign; the Bayou Bengals went 38-24 last season with a 13-11 mark in regular-season SEC play. The Lady Tigers lost in the Tucson Regional to Arizona in a decisive game 7. Hoover will join a staff that returns two fellow rising sophomores in Kelsee Selman and Baylee Corbello.

With Hoover’s decision to transfer to LSU, newly hired head coach Rachel Hanson will likely rely on a young and relatively thin staff in 2015. However, the pitching staff may not have to do much to support an experienced Cardinal lineup, as several seniors could highlight another high-powered offense next spring.

Stanford’s 2015 softball campaign will begin in February.

Contact David Cohn at dmcohn ‘at’ stanford.edu.

About David Cohn

David Cohn '15 is currently a Sports Desk Editor. He began his tenure at the Daily by serving as a senior staff writer for Stanford football and softball, and then rose to the position of assistant editor of staff development. He served as the Summer Managing Editor of Sports in 2014. David is a Biology major from Poway, California. In addition to his duties at the Daily, he serves as the lead play-by-play football and softball announcer for KZSU Live Stanford Radio 90.1 FM.
  • guest

Smart move, she deserves more playing time