Student winners of the VPUE’s Undergrad Photo Contest announced

July 19, 2014, 1:44 a.m.

On May 29, the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) announced the Spring 2014 winners of its first Undergrad Photo Contest, an undergraduate-wide competition to promote exploration in the arts through photography.

The contest was inspired by a similar successful contest held by the Bing Overseas Study Program and received 531 photo submissions.

The goal of the contest was to collect images for Stanford’s web and print publications that reflect the Stanford experience, and photos fell into five different categories: Academic Settings, Student Life, Stanford Portraits, Off Campus and Social Media. A winner was announced for each category, in addition to one grand prize winner.

Category winners were Luis Aguilar ’14 (Academic Settings), Alex Simon ’14 (Student Life), Justine Beed ’17 (Stanford Portraits), Kinjal Vasavada ’17 (Off Campus) and Agatha Bacelar ’14 (Social Media).

Daniela Olivos ’15, with her photo of the Radcliffe Camera during her study abroad session at Oxford University, won the grand prize.

Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education Harry Elam announced the winners at the Photo Contest Awards Ceremony at the Stanford Faculty Club. Winners received Amazon gift cards, and starting this month, their photos will be displayed in the Vice Provost’s Office on the fourth floor of Sweet Hall.

In response to its popularity this year, the Photo Contest will run again in the fall of 2014.