Recent graduate dies in mountaineering accident

Stanford co-terminal student Bryant Tan ’14 died in a mountaineering accident on June 29 while hiking alone in Triglav National Park in Slovenia.

Tan had fallen and broken his leg while descending the Triglav peak, and rescuers could not reach him until four hours later due to bad weather. The cause of death was determined to be hypothermia.

Tan graduated in June with both a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in electrical engineering and was also the recipient of the Frederick Emmons Terman Engineering Scholastic Award. During his time at Stanford, he was involved with the Stanford Solar Car Project and had worked at SpaceX since 2013.

In memory of their son, Tan’s parents have created a website where family and friends can share stories about Tan.

“We have been devastated by his passing and take great comfort from the outpouring of support from friends who have known Bryant,” his parents wrote in an email to The Daily.

Friends who wish to communicate with Tan’s parents or contribute a post to the website can send messages to rememberbryant@gmail.com.

This post will be updated.

About Kylie Jue

Kylie Jue is a desk editor at The Stanford Daily and has previously worked as a staff writer and summer intern for the paper. She is a freshman from Cupertino, California and plans to study computer science and English during her time at Stanford.
  • Ee2014

Bryant.. You were an amazing person! I cannot express my grieve. My heart goes out to your family…

• Classmate

Dear Bryant,

You are one of the most deserving people I know of the gift of life. Actually, you were one of the best people I know. Although we were not close friends, it was a pleasure knowing you. I have always admired your intelligence and passion for engineering. You were always willing to help other people to better themselves and for that I am extremely thankful.
    Although your passing was far too premature, you will be remembered by your peers as a bright, brilliant and incredibly nice young man. I just am incredibly sad by the fact that the world does not get to see the other amazing things that you could/would have accomplished.
    I am deeply sorry. My heart goes out to your family. Sorry, Bryant, this really should not have happened to you. Life is incredibly unfair. You will be terribly missed.

• Another Classmate

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Bryant, you were truly one of the most incredible people in our class. My heart goes out to you and your family. You will be terribly missed.

• Phil and Nilma

It is impossible to express the heartache we feel for Bryant’s parents, our neighbours and friends here in the UK. We send to them our deepest condolences.